Guide to using Mobile Odin

1. Gam3r 4 Life

Gam3r 4 Life Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but you said reroot with recovery. How is that done? Ive always used either debugfs or the Samsung GS3 ToolKit. Thanks
  2. thatguy96

thatguy96 Well-Known Member

The root is in the all root guide it's under the post is under the title of clockwork mod
  3. thatguy96

Worked for me :)
  4. thatguy96

Shabby I can make a twrp backup of this now eight and I can't go back to older backups of touch whiz correct?
  5. Shady545

Shady545 Well-Known Member

This method wiped my internal sd card =/

Just totally lost a shit load of important photos. I'm pretty pissed off right now.

Other than that thanks for the tar
  6. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

dont really understand how, i flashed multiple times today with every option enabled to make sure nothing would go wrong so i could write it up.

did you use mobile odin free or pro?

what settings did you enable?
  7. Shady545

Pro, exact same settings you have up top. Only thing I did different was the md5 check thing.
  8. airtioteclint

airtioteclint Well-Known Member

Yes. Yes.

Edit: to be more clear. Yes you can make a backup in twrp. Yes you can restore any other backups you have, including older touchwiz.

It also wiped my internal. But I was prepared for that. I moved everything important to my external.
  9. Shabbypenguin

i dont understand i tested this all out and i didnt lose anything on my internal.. ill revise the guide to make sure to use some new instructions
  10. thatguy96

my internal did not get wiped...
  11. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

i didnt lose anything on internal either and i use all options except i cleared out the recovery section so it would replace my recovery....... you sure u dont have a folder on your sd card named 0 ??
  12. Shady545

Yes, I am sure. It was completely wiped. Even checked the stats in the storage settings to confirm.
  13. morgankslade

morgankslade Well-Known Member

I did not check Wipe Data and cache. Is this correct?
    I followed the screenshot. My SD and extSD intact. Nothing missing.

So using Mobile Odin method will allow me to restore backups through TWRP?
    Should I do the NV Backup again now that Im on 4.1.2.
  14. Shabbypenguin

what do you mean your backups?
  15. morgankslade

morgankslade Well-Known Member

Back up of Metropolis, Blackbean.
  16. Shabbypenguin

restoring blackbean's data will likely cause you to bootloop, as for metropolis i dont think its a good idea but you may be able to get away with restoring teh data
    morgankslade likes this.
  17. thatguy96

this reminds me...if i go to another rom come back to 4.1.2 can i still go back to my backup of the other rom?
    EDIT: never mind i realized that the backups morgankslade was referring to was pre 4.1.2 flash...i guess any backups i make now are fine...
  18. Shabbypenguin

im trying to wrap my head around this all... so help me understand.

you are on 4.1.2
    you flash rom XY
    decide to come back to 4.1.2 so you restore a backup of it?
    or you want to leave 4.1.2 so you restore a backup of rom XY?
  19. jtw1216

jtw1216 Well-Known Member

LMAO, yes.
  20. jtw1216

Hey shabby, quick question. Why is the odin tar 1gb & ldrifta's zip only 750mb?
  21. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

Zip is compressed the tar not so much compressed
    jtw1216 likes this.
  22. jtw1216

ok, so a tar file is the full thing straight up as is. a zip compresses the full thing into a file easier to keep?
  23. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

Yea the tar is just a shell holding all the stuff inside while zip is made not only to hold all the data inside but also compress it.
    jtw1216 likes this.
  24. Shabbypenguin

more than just that as well, inside teh tar is the IMG file which is a direct vtye for btye copy of the entire system partition. meanwhile metropolis 1.1.0 and ldrifta's rom are just teh files and compressed so they can be smaller :)
    jtw1216 likes this.
  25. c0ntrolfre4k15

c0ntrolfre4k15 Well-Known Member

i flashed lj1, but after i flashed the lj1 i rooted, installed twrp recovery and restored my old backup of stock rooted touchwiz i had. so can i install this tar and go back to that backup from ics made with twrp?

oo and btw i also flashed an aokp rom and got a '0' folder and went back to the stock backup i had and the zero folder remained until i moved the files out of it and deleted the 0 folder, i dont know if that will make a difference in anything but i thought i'd let you know, just in case.