• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Guide] Triumphant Battery Tips

Hey open it up and if you are on cm7 take a screen shoot. I'd like to use your settings as a base line. It would be to much testing if I started fresh.

I'm back on TG's default CM7 kernel (see if I can get rid of touchscreen & deep sleep issues with theOC v1.5), so don't have undervolt anymore. But when I did have it, my processor could use the lowest value (650 mV in app) for 122-1024 Mhz. So I would just go into incredicontrol after boot up (instead of saving it to apply automatically after every bootup, safer IMO). Just press the lower all values until everything is at 650 (up to 1024 Mhz, the higher ones won't apply if your max freq is at 1024). Then hit apply. If this causes freeze or crash, then you'd have to slowly raise each one at a time. It's tedious, but only needs to be done once for a phone.

Also to note, as Mantera discovered, there's a voltage regulator that seems to set the lowest value to 800 mV even if in Incredicontrol you can set it to lower, there's no way to verify yet).

Upvote 0
The free version of JD used to give me issues. I'm running their beta version and it runs much better and the logs show that it's working its battery saving magic. Will see how it works and then decide if I'll upgrade to JD Ultimate.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am trying the beta version and it's working for me. I'll try to compare the results between the JD beta vs. 2X battery app which I was using before.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm using this 3900 battery now and after upgrading to ICS 4.0.3 I'm on Wifi and 3G all the time and...lemme check...ok, 2d 21h 23m 12s and still got 15% left. So, I know it adds bulk, but I hate charging my phone every 8 hours and constantly think if my 3g is on or not. I don't have that much time to think about my phone.

Well, the Triumph (i.e. the phone forums you are posting this in) doesn't have a battery like that, nor can it run ICS very stably yet. You have over double the battery we have available, it's going to last longer. I don't know how ICS battery life compares to GB, but that can also make a difference.

That being said you save more battery with that stuff off. But when you have battery with twice as much juice you don't have to worry about it as much.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm using this 3900 battery now and after upgrading to ICS 4.0.3 I'm on Wifi and 3G all the time and...lemme check...ok, 2d 21h 23m 12s and still got 15% left. So, I know it adds bulk, but I hate charging my phone every 8 hours and constantly think if my 3g is on or not. I don't have that much time to think about my phone.

I prefer to keep a light phone with me. To each their own.

Upvote 0

that battery is hilariously, ridiculously huge, thus, I love it.

hahahaha, installing this battery is the fastest easiest way to "brick" your phone. :D

Upvote 0
I get about 2 days on a full charge with avg use and I never go into airplane mode. It drains around 1% on idle. I have a weather widget that pulls data every 30 minutes. I usually charge it when it gets to 20%.

Toggling GPS on and off is pointless. GPS only comes on when a program needs it, otherwise it's off. Wifi also turns off when the phone is idle so even when I leave it on I dont notice much difference in battery usage.

The only thing I frequently turn on and off is bluetooth because it uses as much battery as cell standby. I turn this on and off when I get in my car.

Autosync is always on. Haptic feedback is on. I use a live wallpaper. Auto brightness always on. Transition animations off. (Not to conserve battery but because it feels slightly quicker when navigating my phone.)

The only monitoring app I use is Battery Monitor Widget and Im not rooted.

Upvote 0
Toggling GPS on and off is pointless. GPS only comes on when a program needs it, otherwise it's off. Wifi also turns off when the phone is idle so even when I leave it on I dont notice much difference in battery usage.

The only thing I frequently turn on and off is bluetooth because it uses as much battery as cell standby. I turn this on and off when I get in my car.

While it's true that GPS only comes on when apps need it, there are many people who install apps that they didn't know use GPS to find their location, and turning it off in the System Settings is a way to make sure it doesn't drain the battery (or track location for that matter). Same for wifi, having it on but no apps using data in the background is the same as having it off. It's better to only install apps that work properly, but given bugs can be introduced in updates. I prefer to have a master control than to "trust" the app do the right thing properly.

Also some people, especially those on CM7 or MIUI have to live with a bug that wifi has a constant drain and prevents the phone from going into a deep sleep mode.

Upvote 0
Well I know this; when the device is set to put wifi to sleep when screen is off, I have issues reconnecting to wifi. When I have it set to stay on all the time, I have issues reconnecting to wifi. I use miui. I remember having the same problem though with froyo.

Also, wifi being on prevents phone from going into deep sleep - which sucks.

I have gotten into the lame habit of turning it on and off when I use it (manually) for downloads at home or work, and for browsing.

Never had this issue with optimus V. Hate that this is such a nicer phone with in some ways, less functionality, than the v.

Upvote 0
Every time I change my governor in both Cyanogen settings and SetCPU it always changes back to smartassV2. Why won't my changes stick?

e; nm my profiles were still using smartassV2 derp

e2; Anyone have a link to that post that went in depth with undervolting? It had suggested values for the triumph. I can't find it here or in the subforum.

Upvote 0
Every time I change my governor in both Cyanogen settings and SetCPU it always changes back to smartassV2. Why won't my changes stick?

e; nm my profiles were still using smartassV2 derp

e2; Anyone have a link to that post that went in depth with undervolting? It had suggested values for the triumph. I can't find it here or in the subforum.

Every processor is different, just like overclocking, undervolting takes trial and error to find the stable numbers for a certain phone. For overclocking, start low and go up until phone crashes or weird stuff happens. For undervolting, start at stock voltage and drop by 50 mV at a time for each frequency.

Upvote 0
I have started using "easy battery saver" in the supermode. This turns off 3G when not in use.

I now get ariund 24 hours life.

Also, I stumbled onto holding down the on/off button which gives me one click control of airport mode on (or off)

Doing this while camping last weekend gave me 2 1/2 days on a battery with near 50 % power remaining. I surfed for email and reading about 2 or three hours a day.

Downside to Easy battery saver in supermode: There is a 2 or 3 second delay when accessing the browser (or any app which needs web access) for 3G to activate.

Upvote 0
hey so i read the post and must say its a bit much to do for the everyday user. great if you are in the service or what not without a power outlet for DAYS lol.

i have had my triumph for a few days. what i found to work well is i close the browser when done using it, "menu, exit"
i also use android assistant app killer a few times a day, i use android assistant because it does not run in background. also use it for cache cleaning etc.

with this method it is nice and easy and the battery lasts from unplugged at 8 am, to plugging it in at midnight.

no issues and pretty easy

Upvote 0
hey so i read the post and must say its a bit much to do for the everyday user. great if you are in the service or what not without a power outlet for DAYS lol.

i have had my triumph for a few days. what i found to work well is i close the browser when done using it, "menu, exit"
i also use android assistant app killer a few times a day, i use android assistant because it does not run in background. also use it for cache cleaning etc.

with this method it is nice and easy and the battery lasts from unplugged at 8 am, to plugging it in at midnight.

no issues and pretty easy

Well, they are all suggestions that can help if you have issues. None of this is a requirement. I am glad you get good battery life without any of these tips.

I would say it doesn't matter if the app killer runs in the background or not, they don't help you out. They work against the OS and don't do anything of worth. The OS can handle that job just fine on it's own. If you have an app causing issues, I would recommend ditching the app altogether.

Upvote 0
The known 50% cell standby bug that I also had with the Optimus V was happening with this phone as well. It is searching for both a GSM and a CDMA signal at the same time. I downloaded "Network" from the market, set the network to CDMA only, and am watching the Cell Standby percentage drop. Went from 50% to 44% in the 5 minutes since I made the switch. Hoping this will extend the battery life by not having the radio searching all the time unnecessarily. Will also watch to see if it has any side effects. (3G drops, signal issues, etc.) The GSM/CDMA fix mad a huge impact on the OV, I am hoping to get the same here.

EDIT: Setting to CDMA auto, not CDMA only as it will drop to 1x.

EDIT: Cell Standby increasing again after switching from CDMA only to CDMA auto. Appears that the drain IS related to the 3G.

Upvote 0
It also sucks that the highest rated battery we can get for this hog is only 1600ma....why Moto decided to throw in such a paltry battery in it is beyond me...1380ma...really Moto? UGH!!! Come'n Seidio...gives us a 2.5kma battery please!!!!!!

The best we can get right now is 2000mah without modified cover. $11.99 is the best deal for 2x2000mah batteries and a charger. Will probably pick it up myself even though I haven't seen any reviews of it.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

There was also 2200 floating around, but I don't see it anymore.

Upvote 0
on my triumph on the other hand, I bought 2 extra batteries and dont leave home without all of them being fully charged. as my phone will die in 4 hours with the kind of use I put it through. need the data and GPS for work related stuff

Where do you find additional batteries? I've tried Motorola and Virgin Mobile with no luck, and can't find anything at Fry's I'm sure matches.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones