• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS & T-Mobile] [GUIDE] Unbrick OR Unroot LG Optimus F3 [KDZ]

was going to do that sammyz, figured it out finally on the T-Mobile. All that and you may need to be sure to got through the R&D test tool or think that is the Marwin in folder too. In that programs tools menu has B2C Client Setup, did that and was golden.

Well I did do a factory reset too but think above was more of a factor than the hard reset. Thank you all for joining the great work that has been done here and thank you for all those who have shared their accomplishments

added Note: for the port - 1 error
this was how I got past it, i think. :)

Upvote 0
Did you perform a factory reset after booting up with the newly flashed firmware?

Flashing the firmware does not wipe your device. I've tried to make the point that this final step (performing a factory reset) should be added to the instructions. If you have old files / software from your previous ROM mixed in with newly flashed files, I would expect problems like the ones you're having.

This was helpful; I had a friend help me do a terminal reset on the phone using his laptop and it fixed all the issues and restored full functionality.

Thanks for your help & the firmware.

Upvote 0
Hello, thank you Sammyz, I just wanted to ask a few questions:

After not being able to successfully flash the VM version using the tools provided, I decided to try this KDZ method. It worked, however, I now have the following issues:

--

1. I installed the MetroPCS version (awesome, it worked, and even gave me App to SD privilages, I loved that, but then my read camera wasn't being read.)
  2. I cannot get the VM Flash Tool to work for me now, because it changed the model number, and now gives me the:
    Download Failed - Model / DLL Doesn't match!
What I am Trying:

I am attempting to use the T-Mobile version, hoping it will restore to my LS720 model number and allow me to use the Flash Tool, or at least give me my rear camera back. Either situation I will be happy.

What I would LOVE if someone could do:

I am hoping that someone might be able to help me locate or create a Boost Mobile compatible KDZ file.

OR:

The ability to re-enable hardware using ADB, or help me figure out how I might go about (forgive the terminology, I am fairly new to flashing and modding) reinstalling the device drivers as far as within the android system itself goes. What I mean by that is: I believe Android, much like a computer, requires drivers or a system software, much like windows would, for using different parts of it's hardware, which admittedly, I haven't any idea if that idea is correct or not. Is this achievable?

What I will do next for now:

I am hoping that using this T-Mobile will do as described above, and I will update you all on the happenings thereof.

Thanks for reading my ridiculously long post :D

Upvote 0
You managed to flash the metro pcs firmware on a virgin mobile phone? And you're not hard bricked? Wow that's amazing. If you want the t-mobile firmware I don't recommend that, you got really lucky with the metro pcs and you should not do this cause it's really risky flashing a non-compatible firmware. You should just flash the sprint or virgin mobile firmware on your phone since that's safe and compatible. And if you need help try the sprint/virgin mobile thread instead of this.

Edit: If you want the boost mobile firmware, I'm pretty sure they might have it on the sprint/virgin mobile thread, but I'm not sure though.

Upvote 0
Hello, thank you Sammyz, I just wanted to ask a few questions:

After not being able to successfully flash the VM version using the tools provided, I decided to try this KDZ method. It worked, however, I now have the following issues:

--

1. I installed the MetroPCS version (awesome, it worked, and even gave me App to SD privilages, I loved that, but then my read camera wasn't being read.)
  2. I cannot get the VM Flash Tool to work for me now, because it changed the model number, and now gives me the:
    Download Failed - Model / DLL Doesn't match!
From the sounds of it, you have a Virgin Mobile (CDMA) device and flashed a MetroPCS (GSM) ROM. When you say "it worked" what exactly do you mean? If that even booted I'd be surprised, and if you were actually able to get working service, I'd be amazed.

Upvote 0
From the sounds of it, you have a Virgin Mobile (CDMA) device and flashed a MetroPCS (GSM) ROM. When you say "it worked" what exactly do you mean? If that even booted I'd be surprised, and if you were actually able to get working service, I'd be amazed.

Yeah me too. This is actually a big discovery and this may lead to other things. But as I said in my previous post, that is pretty risky and might hard bricked since it's "supposed to be" incompatible... until now :)

Upvote 0
So far I have successfully gotten both T-Mobile AND MetroPCS (multiple times on the MetroPCS) to boot successfully and work, aside from the following errors:

T-Mobile:
- Rear Camera is broken
- Unable to use Wi-Fi

MetroPCS
- Rear Camera is broken
- Upon taking a picture, the system reboots

I can make a screen recording on this if you guys would like, perhaps it would help some?

It worked though, it boots, and I am not hardbricked.

I am currently flashing back over to the MetroPCS

I have had no luck getting the KDZ for VM/Boost on the other thread as far as looking through it goes.

(Reason I cannot get the actual firmware to work on the VM thread is because it changed the model number on my phone, so it's no longer compatible.)

Upvote 0
I have had no luck getting the KDZ for VM/Boost on the other thread as far as looking through it goes.

(Reason I cannot get the actual firmware to work on the VM thread is because it changed the model number on my phone, so it's no longer compatible.)

Wait so you're saying you flashed the t-mobile/metro pcs and since its a different model number now, you can't flash back to the vm or sprint firmware and you're getting an incompatible message? If so then uhhhhh... sammyz help? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Wait so you're saying you flashed the t-mobile/metro pcs and since its a different model number now, you can't flash back to the vm or sprint firmware and you're getting an incompatible message? If so then uhhhhh... sammyz help? :thinking:

Exactly, after I flashed over to the MetroPCS version, I was unable to accomplish the VM fix because it modified my model number.

After flashing from T-Mobile and back to MetroPCS I ran into yet another error, trying to re-flash back over to MetroPCS. The error is now:

1. Will not connect to WiFi, not even using WiFix Manager (may have grabbed a bad version but whatever, the point is, is that it didn't work from stock.
  2. Front Camera still crashes the device when taking a snapshot
Oddly enough, I was still able to send pictures over FaceBook messenger O,.,O... but all other apps caused it to crash.. Probably because it's a totally different system unique to facebook and is like a webbased screenshot type of deal.

ANYWAY, here are the updates:

T-Mobile Caused:

• WiFi does not connect
    • Attempting to do a flash after the flash because it didn't kill off the T-Mobile all of the way, so I did a factory reset, and when that didn't fix it, I decided it was time to flash yet again. Will tell you the results.
  • Camera still crashed device
  • Rear camera still not being read

MetroPCS re-flash (Attempt 1)

• Took on a mix of T-Mobile AND MetroPCS, it wasn't pretty.
  • Killed the WiFi in the same way T-Mobile Did
    • It got stuck on the obtaining IP address and eventually said "Prevented connecting to a weak source"

MetroPCS re-flash (Attempt 2)

• Still a broken WiFi upon first boot (still certain the camera is broken), performed factory reset:
    • RESULT of WiFi: Still broken

Ideas I have on trying to solve this

I need an ADB command that allows me to format the entire device, something like it just came off the shelf with no software at all and is waiting to be loaded. That I think would help. Otherwise, an ADB method to let me load up a custom ROM. The best of my knowledge, it does not have bootloading enabled, so this may be a source of issues.

Upvote 0
Yeah I really didn't even know this was possible. Maybe you can flash xperion rom lol :p But all jokes aside I'm not that good with this kind of stuff so you're gonna need the help of a pro for this. Still this was a good discovery, if we can just get wifi and camera working you will have a different firmware for the VM phone.

PS: I'm actually kind of curious if xperion will actually work or not so I mean you're going to be flashing the firmware over and over so maybe try it out if you want.

Upvote 0
Sounds fun ;D I might actually give that a shot. Would you by chance know and commands to get this thing launching fastboot or anything? I think that is where I need to start.

I'm sorry but I'm really bad with adb and fastboot and I unfortunatly don't have the time to learn because of school and stuff. I just try to help and give suggestions the best I can. But if you're going to try xperion then go ahead and flash cwm by playfulgod and then xperion by gametheory. I'm pretty sure you're also kind of wanting to know as well, I mean what's the worst that can happen since you're on the right firmware? bootloop? soft-brick? Pretty sure there's no chance for a hard brick.

Upvote 0
Okay, updates:

Flashed back to MetroPCS for the billionth time

Turns out I just suck and needed to reset my router.. So... Yeah... But I still have no rear Cam. Before this last flash, I was able to clear my System, Cache, and Data, and hoped it might be enough. No such luck.

So, for now, I will live with this, but if anyone knows how I might re-enable my beloved rear camera, please, let me know. I will provide a screen recording of what it looks and acts like for research purposes. ;)

Upvote 0
Maybe you can try a custom camera app? Only one of the two camera's doesn't work right? So I guess that may work. You fixed all the other problems right? So I guess try xperion and enjoy your brand new vm f3 running on metro pcs. Also I recommend making a different thread for you discovery cause I'm pretty sure other people may want to hear about it.

Upvote 0
I tried the custom camera app already, and after checking hardware, it just plain doesn't read. :(

But I will. I will try to make it as detailed as possible ;)

OK then I guess your camera might just be corrupt. Maybe try installing the camera app from the vm firmware, if it doesn't install then put it in system/app and see if that works.

Upvote 0
20:47:43 : Launching SW update
20:47:43 : Unpacking KDZ
20:48:02 : KDZ file extraced
20:48:28 : Files were extracted.
20:48:28 : LGMobileDL Load.
20:48:28 : Port = -1
20:48:28 : Connecting to phone
20:48:42 : Check Phone mode = 2
20:48:42 : Phone type check.......
20:48:44 : LGMobileDL.DLL Loading....
20:48:44 : _SetAuthMark Fail
20:48:44 : _SetAuthMark Ok : wAuthMark(65535)
20:48:44 : _DetachDLL Call
20:48:49 : _DetachDLL Call End
20:48:49 : Param : Path = C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\P65910b_Develop.wdb
20:48:49 : Param : moduleDir =
20:48:49 : Param : waitTime = 0
20:48:49 : Param : UsbHighSpeed = 1
20:48:49 : Param : PhoneMode = 2
20:48:49 : Param : BinVersion = P65910b_05
20:48:49 : Param : AuthMark = 65535
20:48:49 : Call fn_StartUpgrade
20:50:11 : 3GQCT : wParam = 100, lParam = 0
20:50:11 : Step : Upgrade Error error code = 0
20:50:11 : ResetStartInfo() Call
20:50:11 : _DetachDLL Call
20:50:16 : _DetachDLL Call End
20:50:16 : FreeLibrary Call

Upvote 0
20:47:43 : Launching SW update
20:47:43 : Unpacking KDZ
20:48:02 : KDZ file extraced
20:48:28 : Files were extracted.
20:48:28 : LGMobileDL Load.
20:48:28 : Port = -1
20:48:28 : Connecting to phone
20:48:42 : Check Phone mode = 2
20:48:42 : Phone type check.......
20:48:44 : LGMobileDL.DLL Loading....
20:48:44 : _SetAuthMark Fail
20:48:44 : _SetAuthMark Ok : wAuthMark(65535)
20:48:44 : _DetachDLL Call
20:48:49 : _DetachDLL Call End
20:48:49 : Param : Path = C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\P65910b_Develop.wdb
20:48:49 : Param : moduleDir =
20:48:49 : Param : waitTime = 0
20:48:49 : Param : UsbHighSpeed = 1
20:48:49 : Param : PhoneMode = 2
20:48:49 : Param : BinVersion = P65910b_05
20:48:49 : Param : AuthMark = 65535
20:48:49 : Call fn_StartUpgrade
20:50:11 : 3GQCT : wParam = 100, lParam = 0
20:50:11 : Step : Upgrade Error error code = 0
20:50:11 : ResetStartInfo() Call
20:50:11 : _DetachDLL Call
20:50:16 : _DetachDLL Call End
20:50:16 : FreeLibrary Call

Dude just use a different computer. That's the only way to solve you it

Upvote 0
Zippyshare.com - CameraTestApp.apk
Zippyshare.com - CameraTestApp.odex
Here I think this might be the camera app, but I'm not sure. Credit to Sharkhunter45 for Solar Rom cause that's where I got it from since I don't know how to dig through the actual firmware.
Try the apk first by putting it in system/app if it doesn't work also put the odex. Btw you're gonna need a root browser and root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones