[Guide]USB Brick FixTips

1. Exiled_SouL

Exiled_SouL Active Member

*To work this whole Thing Out You need to setup Adb and fastboot in your pc,if you don't know how to do it follow this nice Guide.
    http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/337356-faq-adb-fastboot-windows-updated-1st-june-2011-a.html

Last few days i saw lots of people having usb brick problem even after they flashed the Ruu.exe or PB99IMG.zip update via hboot that because misc.img is corrupted and they stuck on stock rom without any usb function.Few Days ago i was in the same situation and solved my problem thought i should share this Information with people who need help.

Note-If you usb bricked on s-off device then try this fastboot command to solve this

fastboot oem enableqxdm 0(unblock your sd-card)
    fastboot oem eraseconfig(fix misc partition)

if above command don't work then you have to flash a ruu.exe or PB99IMG.zip file via hboot to return to stock rom,usually that fix the usb brick but some time that trick also fails,if that happen then you have to go through the process below.

I solve my usb brick this way

after return to stock rom via PB99IMG.zip file flash via hboot(didn't fix my usb brick so i had to do the steps below)

1.i unlocked my sd card via fastboot command"fastboot oem enableqxdm 0" sd card recognized by phone and i can browse it via file explorer.
    note-you can access your sdcard only via file explorer nothing else so after execute the command download a file explorer from android market.

2.then i copied the visionary+(it gave me temporary root access which is needed to work this whole thing out).
    root explorer,terminal emulator apk and those usb bricked update file(image_flash,mtd0.img) to sdcard from pc via card reader and installed them.

before copy those update file on sd card i edited the mtd0.img to put correct cid n rom info via hex editor.

To find cid info
    If you don't know your Cid then type this command in fastboot-fastboot oem boot this will show you info about your phone cid.when the info shows up look for

Attached Files:

Advertisement
    :
    GingaB, Paul8944, Bam82 and 4 others like this.
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Might not be relevant, but you refer to it in this guide. PB99IMG.zip is case sensitive and must be exactly "PB99IMG.zip". Not strictly relevant but worth noting whenever we refer to it on these forums I think.
    Exiled_SouL likes this.
  3. Exiled_SouL

Thanks suroot,plz let me know if there anything i should add or edit :)
  4. SUroot

I'll have a read through in detail when I have more time, however I have never carried out the process myself so I'm not an "Authority" on the subject :)
  5. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

looks good to me, that second command i didnt know about. its one to look out for certainly

thanks for posting this, hopefully it will help a lot of people
  6. SUroot

This can affect both rooted and unrooted users, so not sure if the root forum is the right place for this (I think it was in troubleshooting originally?).

Maybe a link needs to be added to root sticky and to a non root sticky, or perhaps tips and tricks (although its more a break fix).

Will Report to mods to see whats best.

Edit> It hasn't been moved (my mistake), but still not sure just here is the best place :)
  7. Exiled_SouL

I posted it on troubleshooting section but mod moved it to tips and tricks. :)
  8. SUroot

Thats my fault ( :(/ :) ) delete as applicable ;)
  9. Exiled_SouL

No problem.mods will move it correct section then ;)
  10. SUroot

Im not sure there is a correct section for this. All troubleshooting goes there except root trouble shooting which is in the root forum. Im not sure there is an ideal place for this.
  11. Exiled_SouL

just my thought as this thread is for troubleshoot usb brick for both rooted and unrooted user it should stay in troubleshooting section cause when some one seek help for usb brick he/she can see it on the top of troubleshooting section(if this thread get sticky) anyway do what you guys think best.
  12. Rastaman-FB

i hope this gets stickied
  13. SUroot

At least in the rooting Sticky. I'll PM Usta.
  14. Rastaman-FB

but people who dont have root and get usb bricked might not think to look there
  15. SUroot

Thats why I said at least.
  16. androidesire

androidesire Active Member

After step 4 in the terminal emulator i get the message that flash_image not found.And i made everything right... Is maybe the flash image you gave corrupted?
  17. Exiled_SouL

Try this one

Attached Files:

18. androidesire

Again i get this : su/data/data/flash_image not found
  19. Exiled_SouL

after copy those file on phone memory did you set permission for R/W and execute of those file?
  20. androidesire

Yes :(

I give up!!! I see i have to live with this problem. Fortunately my sd card works now and is recognized by the phone.
  21. Exiled_SouL

hey man don't give up right now you are so close to fix maybe your phone is branded that's what causing this problem and check your pm.
    androidesire likes this.
  22. Rastaman-FB

this command looks wrong

it should be type
    Code (Text):
    1. su
    then hit enter
    then do
    Code (Text):
    1. /data/data/flash_image misc /data/data/mtd0.img
  23. androidesire

My cid is O2__102.
    So the mtdO.img cant be done. Do i have to unbrand my phone?

24. Rastaman-FB

that doesnt seem right
    which carrier are you with
    is it o2uk or o2 germany?
  25. Rastaman-FB

on and there are 3 underscores not 2