• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] ZTE vital/supreme Unbrick Guide

stevestone

Sep 29, 2011
Here we go,

Below are the steps to unbrick zte vital or supreme.

In case if you can boot up in recovery, please do data/cache wipe.. if not then its not an issue, This is required as we need some space in data partitions..

Hold volume up + power, It will boot up in FTM mode .. Make sure you have proper ADB installed. As it works fine with ADB and su..

please copy cwm recovery.img or system.img or boot.img in your relative path of ADB folder.

Code:
adb devices

See, If your devices get detected.

Then

Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /data
chmod 777 /data/media/
exit 
exit

After that for flashing recovery.img follow this steps..

Code:
adb push recovery.img /data/media/
adb shell
su
dd if=/data/media/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
reboot recovery

for system.img follow this steps.

Code:
adb push system.img /data/media/
adb shell
su
dd if=/data/media/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system
reboot

System.img will take some time, If in case you dont have space in data partition, Then please flash cwm recovery first then do factory format (data & cache wipe)

Our data partition have enough space to accommodate system.img :D
but after wiping it off..

Thanks..
Sorry for bad english

After that for flashing recovery.img follow this steps..

Code:
adb push recovery.img /data/media/
[B]adb shell[/B]
dd if=/data/media/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
reboot recovery

for system.img follow this steps.

Code:
adb push system.img /data/media/
[B]adb shell[/B]
dd if=/data/media/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system
reboot
its cuz you werent in adb shell after pushing the file, ive bolded the steps that steve should add to clarify for people :)

Upvote 0
this should actually work on any 8960 or newer zte. in theory anyhow, cooldudezach also let me onto something that i believe he got from you shabby, that will allow you to recover from dfu mode, its slightly more complex of a solution that requires a dump of the entire internal chip as a whole, bootloader, radio partition, everything, but when youre down to nothing but a black screen and a red light you have little choice

i would however add in a rm command after the dd process, that way it deletes the system.img and/or recovery.img, and it could easily be turned into a script if you like. pack it all up and leave less room for user error

and i appreciate the thought but i cant accept donations, paypal sucks. i have a donation link but it wont let me take the money out without a bank account and i dont have a bank account... and im not really out bounty hunting here, if i was i wouldnt focus on ztes lol. i just wanna help the little guy, make sure that these budget phones dont get overlooked while every developer and their mom makes stuff for samsungs and lgs

Upvote 0
this should actually work on any 8960 or newer zte. in theory anyhow, cooldudezach also let me onto something that i believe he got from you shabby, that will allow you to recover from dfu mode, its slightly more complex of a solution that requires a dump of the entire internal chip as a whole, bootloader, radio partition, everything, but when youre down to nothing but a black screen and a red light you have little choice

i would however add in a rm command after the dd process, that way it deletes the system.img and/or recovery.img, and it could easily be turned into a script if you like. pack it all up and leave less room for user error

and i appreciate the thought but i cant accept donations, paypal sucks. i have a donation link but it wont let me take the money out without a bank account and i dont have a bank account... and im not really out bounty hunting here, if i was i wouldnt focus on ztes lol. i just wanna help the little guy, make sure that these budget phones dont get overlooked while every developer and their mom makes stuff for samsungs and lgs

Google wallet card?

Upvote 0
Can someone help me by telling me all the steps get do this, like what i need to install and everything for it to recognize my phone? I bricked it and i need help. Please.

What happened was i was messing around with the build.prop and i tried to delete the modified on and put the stock one back but when i restarted my phone is was just a black screen after the android guy and it comes up in stock recovery instead of cwm.

Upvote 0
Can someone help me by telling me all the steps get do this, like what i need to install and everything for it to recognize my phone? I bricked it and i need help. Please.

What happened was i was messing around with the build.prop and i tried to delete the modified on and put the stock one back but when i restarted my phone is was just a black screen after the android guy and it comes up in stock recovery instead of cwm.

Upvote 0

This is because you forgot to set the permissions of the new build prop to rw- r-- ---.

Try factory resetting from the stock recovery. Then tell me if it boots or now. It should boot, but it'll freeze when you turn off the screen. Tell me if it boots first and if it does, I'll tell you how to fix the screen problem

Upvote 0
This is because you forgot to set the permissions of the new build prop to rw- r-- ---.

Try factory resetting from the stock recovery. Then tell me if it boots or now. It should boot, but it'll freeze when you turn off the screen. Tell me if it boots first and if it does, I'll tell you how to fix the screen problem

This would be easier...
Code:
adb shell chmod 644 /system/build.prop

Upvote 0

This would be easier...
Code:
adb shell chmod 644 /system/build.prop

It won't boot at all after the green android guy. And I can't get it to recognize in adb. I honestly don't know what Im going to do.:(

Upvote 0
It won't boot at all after the green android guy. And I can't get it to recognize in adb. I honestly don't know what Im going to do.:(

Boot to ftm and use adb. It is the other vol + power button combo. For example, if vol down + power is cwm, then vol up + power is ftm. I don't have a vital so i am unsure which is which.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones