• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gutted, lack of Desires

Just been into my local T-Mobile store to check if they will have the Handsets in come Friday, when I am due my upgrade.

Was advised they won't be getting them in stock until the end of the next week which isn't too bad, except as demand is high stock will likely be kept for new customers :mad:

Called up T-Mobile and they said they have a big backlog and it could be a month before I get the handset :mad:

Checked with another couple of providers in the shops in town and they are out of stock too and don't know when they will be back in.

Really not wanting to wait a month on this...

Seems this is a popular handset...

Where abouts do you live?

Upvote 0
Yeah it seems Orange have got some in stock today (they've had them for almost a week but had to do their special "testing" and install their annoying apps). I've got one ordered and should have it by tomorrow morning!

Get on it quick though, seems to be very limited.

Oh and Orange are only selling the Black Edition one now, apparently the standard one isn't good enough anymore.

Upvote 0
Just a note, if you're planning to upgrade and want to stay on the same network, just call and ask for your PAC code anyway. You'll then get calls from customer retentions usually with much better offers than standard upgrade offers (and if you don't use the code it will just expire after 30 days without any issue). Vodafone were pretty desperate to keep me and I think I could have got a really good deal, but it was a lost cause in my case (I wanted the O2 data package and Vodafone give me zero signal in my house and at work).

Upvote 0
So it's upgrade day today and I called around every T-Mobile and Carphone Warehouse within 30 miles and the answer was "Sorry, no stock, will be in at the end of the week"

Anyway, signed into the T-mobile site, and a "Want to chat to our advisers" box came up, so I though yeah, go for it.

Asked if they had any Desires in stock;

"We have around 200 left" She said
"OK if ordered today, when will I get it" Said I
"Tomorrow by 1pm" Was her reply.
"Get it done!!" I said.

So

Upvote 0
I can confirm that T-Mobile definitely have the Desire in stock.

I ordered mine on 20th May and received it on Wednesday - the excessive wait was due to the backlog of orders.

When I unpacked the phone I noticed there was a tiny speck of dust under the screen. It could only be seen in direct sunlight when the phone is in sleep mode or the phone is off. I called T-Mobile today and they arranged for me to have a new Desire sent out for a full kit doorstep exchange on Monday - proving they have the Desire in stock.

Upvote 0
If they use Royal Mail, I see no reason why you shouldn't receive it tomorrow. I was told that the only reason they couldn't do the exchange tomorrow was because they use a courier to do the exchanges rather than Royal Mail.

Yeah mate, it's Royal Mail special delivery I was told.

Fingers crossed.

I can see me cancelling my night out tomorrow if it comes....:D

Upvote 0
I am also having 'lack of stock' problems with Vodafone.. It's a bit convoluted so bear with me.. ;) I spoke to a chap at VF about my desire upgrade last week (as i've been due for a while now) and he was happy to take my upgrade/order and confirmed that they had some in stock and that i would be receiving my new handset on Tuesday of this week..

Anyway after a no show on Tuesday (and waiting in all day like a prune! grrrrrr!) i called them on Wednesday to be told that the order hadn't actually been taken (even though they'd took

Upvote 0
Yeah mate, it's Royal Mail special delivery I was told.

Fingers crossed.

I can see me cancelling my night out tomorrow if it comes....:D

If you're anything like me, you will be too scared to take it on a night out until you purchase a case and or screen protector! :D

I've been itching to delve more into the app side of things but I've been holding back due to the exchange taking place on Monday! :D

Upvote 0
If you're anything like me, you will be too scared to take it on a night out until you purchase a case and or screen protector! :D

I've been itching to delve more into the app side of things but I've been holding back due to the exchange taking place on Monday! :D

Oh yes, been looking at cases etc since I got it confirmed.

Got my eye on a couple so will just need to put the order in.

Upvote 0
Anyone spoken to buymobilephones.net today about their (EDIT: t-mobile) stock? They were meant to be getting a shipment in. I spoke to someone yesterday and she confirmed that they were, but she couldn't promise that there would be 'spares', after they had fulfilled all the backorders, for me to get one if i ordered then (yesterday) which I thought was nice and honest.

However, she did say that if i didn't get one out of today's batch, she knew another shipment was meant to be arriving next week some time. So I ordered last night, and got an email today:

Thanks for your order. You have passed our initial security check and your order is ready for processing however your HTC Desire is not in stock at the moment.

We expect it to be available again within 10-15 working days, so we are going to temporarily hold-off from processing your credit check until it is back in stock.

As soon as it arrives we will process your order, send you an email, and ship your phone for next-day delivery.
So I'm wondering if anybody knows whether this is the new estimated delivery date, or if they are just being cautious in case their shipment is delayed and the date should be next week still?

I'm guessing there isn't much chance of anybody being in a position to answer this, but you don't ask, you don't get right? :)

If not, I'm calling them tomorrow for an update. I'll post what they say here if anybody asks me to.

Upvote 0
I have just received confirmation email today, get my phone on Tuesday (Yipppeee).

Heh, well I called them a 3 hours ago, forgot to post here immediately sorry.

I haven't got a confirmation email setting a date for mine. When I rang they asked for my order ref and told me they didn't have a definite date for me, but that that email is just a standard one for this situation and it doesn't mean it will really be 10-15 days. She said they expected a delivery next week some time but couldn't guarantee it as T-Mobile hadn't told them for certain.

So I guess you got one of the earlier batch, grats :)

Personally I may have to switch to someone with stock now who's slightly more expensive and cancel that order if they can't guarantee delivery next week by monday, I'm going to need it before then because I may have to travel after that.

Upvote 0
Mines never came today, spoke with T-Mobile anyway, just to check on the progress as there has been some horror stories of staff saying phones sent when they haven't actually even put the orders through.

The guy told me it was dispatched yesterday and Saturday delivery can't be guaranteed but it will be no later than Monday...

So roll on Monday.

Upvote 0
I went into my local Vodafone store today to have a chat with them about my forthcoming upgrade and they had 1 left in stock at 4pm.

I think I will be ringing them up a few days before my upgrade date to ask them if they will put one by for me as i'll be pi$$ed off if I go in to upgrade and they haven't got any !

Confirmed the data plan with Vodafone as well and they told me it will be 1GB and chargeable after that (

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones