Guy who made THE evo vs iphone is getting fired

Last Updated:

1. Mabster

Mabster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

We've all seen THE video. The poor guy works and Best Buy and they are trying to fire him over it.

Best Buy trying to fire employee over EVO vs iPhone 4 video

I don't think BB has a leg to stand on. Can they really fire him? He doesn't even parody the chains name or anything. Damn corporate BS. It's going to look even worse if they fire him over this.

Advertisement
    EarlyMon likes this.
  2. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to work for a company that would fire me for what I do on my own time.

What's he make? $9/hr?

Covert_Death likes this.
  3. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

That is ridiculous. Best Buy sucks, though. A bunch of pricks are in charge of that company, so it doesn't surprise me too much. Even if they can't fire him for this, they will just find some other reason to fire him. He has a target on his back, now.

4. pgus13

pgus13 Well-Known Member

If they fire him for this reason he won't have to work again if he sues them. All he has to do is print out the links that say this and he should win millions!!

5. PuRock

PuRock Well-Known Member

I thought they already did fire him. It didn't seem like he was too fond of his job anyways.

Kudos to the awesome video. I can watch it over and over and it still cracks me up.

6. jdegraff57z

jdegraff57z Member

WTF? If the character said "Welcome to Best Buy", they might have room for a case in spite of this being a parody, but *seriously*?!? That's jacked.

7. imageher

imageher Active Member

They cannot fire him since his video did not mention BB in it. Plus he did this out of his own time. It's not like he made the video while at work and promoted there. If they fire him he can sue for millions and never work again.

8. gti18t04

gti18t04 Active Member

that video is great

9. o_mtz16

o_mtz16 Member

Htc should hire this guy!

ballisticn8 and marctronixx like this.
  10. bvbull200

bvbull200 Banned

Missouri is an "Employment At-Will" state, so they can fire him for anything, so long as it doesn't impede on his human rights. Now, firing him for this video would certainly infringe on his basic first amendment rights, but they can/will just fire him and say it was for something different. This guy might have a case amongst all of us, but it will be very hard to make a legal case about it.

If he wants his millions, his best chance is to start some website that chronicles these events and takes petitions. Then, when he gets enough of a following (his video is already over 1 million views), he can take donations and sell advertising space. He is already a bit of an internet celebrity.

11. Mabster

Mabster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Or sprint. They need some serious help in the marketing department.

12. hawkijustin

hawkijustin Well-Known Member

He should hope they fire him. With the money he would get from them in the lawsuit he would win he could make videos anytime he wants.

13. DirtyDozen

DirtyDozen Active Member

do you have the iphone4.... can I get the one with higher G B's :D

14. YouNoAsian

YouNoAsian Well-Known Member

There is no way he could sue them for being fired. Most states are "at will" employment. This means if you dont have a contract you can be fired at any time for ANY reason(except of Race, religion, or orientation). As a boss I can fire my employees if I dont like the shoes they wore to church on sunday. That isnt illegal it just makes me the boss an asshole.

15. VGPOP

VGPOP Well-Known Member

I really hope this video hits 25+ million views.

That would be absolutely outstanding.

Unbelieveable, the Associated Press picked on this story....

Worker in trouble for snarky iPhone-Evo video

By MARIA SUDEKUM FISHER (AP) – 1 hour ago

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — When Brian Maupin made two snarky online videos poking fun at zealots of the iPhone and the Evo phone, he thought it was just a good way to vent some of the frustrations inherent in selling smart phones.

His employer, Best Buy, thought otherwise, even though the retailer, which sells both phones, isn't mentioned in either video. The company was mentioned, though, in videos Maupin had made earlier.
    Maupin, who's been selling phones at a Best Buy store in Independence since 2007, said Friday he was suspended from his part-time job after posting two YouTube videos that slam fans of Apple Inc.'s iPhone 4 and HTC Corp.'s Evo 4G.

Maupin, 25, said he was told Thursday he had a "choice to either quit or the HR people can decide what they want to do." He said he would not quit and was told he could be fired over the matter.
    The flap arose after Best Buy found out about two short animated videos Maupin made. The videos depict a "Phone Mart" salesman extolling the virtues of the Evo to an iPhone devotee, who can't be talked out of the decision to buy an iPhone. The salesman, using loads of expletives, continues to try to show the Evo as a superior product.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hkTs-s8O4XxqpUhb-36_Qu56zPpQD9GN5HE85

16. htcevolee

htcevolee Well-Known Member

How can I download this video to my EVO? I like it that much I have to show ALL my iPhone buddies.

Link me up scotty!

17. AsItLies

AsItLies Well-Known Member

Well as sad as it maybe he would get fired over it... that's the fookin funniest video youtube :)

18. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

only reason they could fire him is if he were promoting his own video at work in uniform, else screw BB

19. TexasAg03

TexasAg03 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the First Amendment only keeps the government from infringing on his freedom of speech. Your employer can infringe all it wants. Many workplaces have rules against talking about politics and religion at work.

20. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

Download the VideoBox app and download it from Youtube, it's on there!

21. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

His best bet is to leverage his fame into new, better opportunities himself while the iron is still hot. I doubt he has the cash to go balls deep against best buys army of demonic attorneys. I believe there is a twitter set up to find him a new gig. He can get unemployment while looking around since they are going to axe him.

And **** best buy. I will do my best to take my business anywhere else.

22. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

That sucks. Best Buy are assholes, no doubt.

23. HTCeasar

HTCeasar Well-Known Member

That shite was funny as hell. Almost worth getting fired over. Undeserved of course. Dude didn't name BB once. Not like people are watching it thinking " The dude who made this must work at BB." Sillyness IMO.

24. Fonseca

Fonseca Well-Known Member

Silly, makes me glad I do not work there anymore.

25. paulgl26

paulgl26 Active Member

funniest video on YouTube in a while