• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GV-13 A9 Cortex 800 mhz Audio/Video sync problem

rhymeswith

Jul 16, 2012
Just bought an Cortex A9 800 Mhz + 400 Mhz GPU, Android 4.0.3. ICS, 512 mb, 4 usb ports. Everything works well, EXCEPT and this is a big except - playback of video files (avi/mp4) all experience audio/video syncing problems. The video is usually about 20ms faster than the audio. I tried installing MX player and it is the same. Even if I switch from hardware decoding to soft decoding - it is the same. I want to watch videos but the out-of-sync audio is driving me nuts. Does anyone else have this problem? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

I've been trying to track down FW for the unit, but to no avail.

Thanks!

I'm really surprised no one else has experienced this problem. I noticed for some odd reason RMVB files play without a problem, which leads me to believe this may be a codec related issue. The thing I don't know and was hoping someone could enlighten on is whether the codecs are part of the ICS system or is there a separate firmware for the CPU that houses the codecs? Strangely, I downloaded the ARM7 Neon codec for MX and switching to software still involves the same problem. The seller of the unit is not being very cooperative, so it may be down to me to fix the unit...

Upvote 0
I have the same issue. Box is Bluetimes Smart TV with same specs as yours. Sync is variable at best on both the stock movie player and MX Player. Have tried two different firmwares - no difference.
Am hoping XBMC will be better when it's hardware optimised for this box, but would welcome a quicker solution.

Upvote 0
gadg17 - Glad I'm not alone. Have made some findings regarding the audio sync problem. First, my box is the AML8726m Cpu - c03ref. I downgraded to Gingerbread 2.3 using the Uraku FW for their model T1 - it needed to reboot a couple of times before everything was smooth, but it did improve on the audio sync problem. Next I analyzed the files that were giving me a headache and they were mp4/avi files, the worst of which used VBR audio streams. It seems the hardware on this unit does not deal with these streams well. However after switching to 2.3 and then using the software drivers of MX player the audio sync was restored with these problematic VBR files. The video response is also considerably smoother since I shifted back to 2.3.

Regarding XBMC - how will we know when it is optimised for this box? I'm interested in it too, but I don't want to brick my unit after I finally got it operating well.

Upvote 0
Hello

I've also have this problem. I was making some tests. I had sync issues with AVI but not with MKV, always using HW decoding. Software decoding seems to be synced, but it's a bit rough, like it were losing frames.

Regarding XBMC, I tried and as it uses SW decoding, there's no lag but it's slow too.
I don't know if other fw would work in this box, as there are many c03ref, but I'm not sure if any fw for this board will work without issues.

I've sent an email to the seller but I don't expect any solutions.

Best Regards

Upvote 0
I have a similar STB, a Mele A2000 with an A10 chip. I too have noticed that AVIs and MP4s have audio/video sync issues on ICS. I thought the problem might be reading the files off my ext4-formatted SATA drive, but it looks like it's likely ICS. I really don't want to fall back to 2.3 since I want to use Mizuu which requires 3.0+. I've tried the 7/14/2012 build of XBMC for Android, but the playback stutters really bad and it crashes while updating the library. Any other more recent builds available?

[poo]

Upvote 0
Poo706, like you I don't want to downgrade to Gingerbread and sacrifice Mizuu. trustno12003 there is other firmware for these boards but I don't know if it would work. Specifically, the Pivos (US rebadged) version of this box supports hw acceleration with XBMC with latest f/w. I wonder if anyone has tried that on a non-Pivos box?

Upvote 0
Hi

Yesterday I tried VLC and it works better than the rest. It doesn't integrate with the GV-13, but with a wireless Keyboard it's manageable. I expected XBMC to have h/w decoding if this is the same board that Pivos, but I couldn't find any option and according to the results, it was using software, as it's slow.

Poo706, where did you downloaded XBMC? I've downloaded it from miniand forum, but there's no 7/27 version, just 7/26.

Gadg17, I've seen some other f/w but I'm sure if it's posible using then in these boards without bricking the device. There a fw from Slane in the forum that, according to CoyoteX works in the GV-13, but the remote and 1080 are not working. Hopefully they will work in the next release and that may be a option, as I'm sure there's not going to be an official fw that fixes this issues.

Best Regards

Upvote 0
Hi
Gadg17, I've seen some other f/w but I'm sure if it's posible using then in these boards without bricking the device. There a fw from Slane in the forum that, according to CoyoteX works in the GV-13, but the remote and 1080 are not working. Hopefully they will work in the next release and that may be a option, as I'm sure there's not going to be an official fw that fixes this issues.
Best Regards

My thoughts exactly. Would be interested to know if anyone has tried Slane's f/w in this box - i.e. the MBX DVBT board (c03ref), which I think differs from the Visson board?.

Upvote 0
I found the 7/27 XBMC link in a thread for Mele A1000/A2000:

http://androidforums.com/google-tv/...ghz-allwinner-a10-vga-output.html#post4736063

Here's the direct link:

http://goo.gl/7yq5f

[poo]

That's a great find. This version does play video smoothly on my box where the earlier XBMC build only stuttered. Frequent crashes and still sync issues but there are sync adjustments from within XBMC that I'm investigating. I may also try running it on Gingerbread. Overall very promising so far, and it's still only an alpha build.

Upvote 0
That's a great find. This version does play video smoothly on my box where the earlier XBMC build only stuttered. Frequent crashes and still sync issues but there are sync adjustments from within XBMC that I'm investigating. I may also try running it on Gingerbread. Overall very promising so far, and it's still only an alpha build.

gadg17 - Are you running that version of XBMC on the GV-13 or on the Mele?

Do any of you guys know how to get around the Google Play problem of software that registers as not suitable for the Gv-13? I know if the box is rooted you can install the google play mod. but mine`s not rooted. Any thoughts?:D

Upvote 0
gadg17 - Are you running that version of XBMC on the GV-13 or on the Mele?

Do any of you guys know how to get around the Google Play problem of software that registers as not suitable for the Gv-13? I know if the box is rooted you can install the google play mod. but mine`s not rooted. Any thoughts?:D

I' running it on this box, a generic Cortex A9+Mali400 unit with c03ref MBX DVBT board. Not sure if that differs from the GV-13. It does have full access to Google Play but also has lip sync problems.

Upvote 0
I' running it on this box, a generic Cortex A9+Mali400 unit with c03ref MBX DVBT board. Not sure if that differs from the GV-13. It does have full access to Google Play but also has lip sync problems.

Well the specs look very similar. I tried the XMBC link mentioned above, and the program booted well, but when it came to video play it immediately went back to the menu screen. Tried several different files all with the same result. The interface looks amazing though. Really hope I'll be able to find a working version for my unit in the future.

Strange that you have full access to Google Play, but I don't?! I couldn't even get access to the Facebook app or Google Maps for that matter.

:D

Upvote 0
Hi

rhymeswith, try using XBMC from miniand.com forum. It worked for me. I've tried other builts from Pivos forum, but they crashes when the video starts.

I've spoken with a forum user that has a box bought in dx.com similar to GV-13 and he installed slane fw and apparently the audio/video mismatch is solved. But as all this boxes are very similar is difficult to know if it will work on ours.

Best Regards

Upvote 0
I installed Stane's fw on mine but it didn't make any difference to the audio video sync. The fw did work on the box but doesn't support the remote control. YouTube app works better on Stane than on the shipping fw.

I really don't know what to try next to fix the sync. Could it be a hardware fault? It is pretty much a show stopper for me.

Upvote 0
gadg17 - I understand you installed Stane1983's fw on your unit. Stane told you to replace his bootloader with your original one. I checked the FW I'm using an there is a boot.aml.img but there is no aml.boot.bin - are these different files or not? I know .bin and .img are similar file types, but are they interchangable? What bootloader did you use?

Upvote 0
rhymeswith, apologies, only just caught up with your post.
My fw had the same boot file as yours and I used that instead of his - but it made no difference in the end because the sync was just as bad. Still haven't found anything to remedy it, though XBMC is not too bad on h.264 files and VLC on standard-def divx. Am holding my breath for improvements with eventual updates to both of those. Have so far tried GB and ICS fw - would like to try the Pivos firmware too, but it comes as a single update.img file instead of a zip, and not sure how to decompile it.

Upvote 0
any body have firmware for GV-13 with 1GB RAM? I tried xbmc-linux but no go with error. Now I need firmware to restore it.

Here you are:

http://lctrading.hk/download/GV-13/

I had my Gv-13 bricked for flushing another firmware and it took me many days to find this one which not only revived mine but also put the latest version on it (20120731). :)

Reactions: bestdesitv
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones