• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GV Free Calls On a Tablet

Linc

Lurker
Sep 28, 2012
I recently bought a small tablet - a Samsung Galaxy Player. I've been using google voice to text all my friends for free. However, I would like to start being able to call my friends as well, and have them be able to call me.

I see on the Play Store that there is an app called GrooVe IP that allows me to do such a thing, but I would prefer not to buy 5$ for this app. My goal, then, is to find a free alternative that works just as well.

I've checked out SipDroid - but I can't figure out how to use the dialer. I'm not entirely sure there is one. You see, there are billions of tutorials on the internet to help set up SipDroid on a "real" phone, but I only have a tablet with no calling capabilities, so I can't use the built in dialer because there isn't one. One thing I could do here is to find a third party dialer that works with SipDroid.

I have also looked at 3CX for Android, but I can't figure that out either. It assumes you have a VoIP Provider, which I don't, unless I can use the google, which would be very nice.

So, in this case I have three questions:
1_ Is there a free alternative to GrooVe IP that works just as well?
2_ Is there a third party dialer that works with SipDroid?
3_ How do you set up 3CX with Google Voice, if possible?

I only need one of these three questions answered, not all three.

I recently bought a small tablet - a Samsung Galaxy Player. I've been using google voice to text all my friends for free. However, I would like to start being able to call my friends as well, and have them be able to call me.

I see on the Play Store that there is an app called GrooVe IP that allows me to do such a thing, but I would prefer not to buy 5$ for this app. My goal, then, is to find a free alternative that works just as well.

I've checked out SipDroid - but I can't figure out how to use the dialer. I'm not entirely sure there is one. You see, there are billions of tutorials on the internet to help set up SipDroid on a "real" phone, but I only have a tablet with no calling capabilities, so I can't use the built in dialer because there isn't one. One thing I could do here is to find a third party dialer that works with SipDroid.

I have also looked at 3CX for Android, but I can't figure that out either. It assumes you have a VoIP Provider, which I don't, unless I can use the google, which would be very nice.

So, in this case I have three questions:
1_ Is there a free alternative to GrooVe IP that works just as well?
2_ Is there a third party dialer that works with SipDroid?
3_ How do you set up 3CX with Google Voice, if possible?

I only need one of these three questions answered, not all three.

Try Skype, Viber, or some other VoIP app.
Depending on your telco/provider, however, they may throttle your VoIP connections (illegally) so you cannot use VoIP.

Upvote 0
I have GV with a number from Google & Talkatone installed on my phone to use talk & (mostly) text with wifi and it works pretty good. The talking part could use more work to be better though.

After I purchased my tablet, I installed GV & Talkatone and lo & behold, I am able to make phone calls using the tablet. The GV number show up on people caller ID. My tablet does have built in mic & speakers.

I'm not sure if it will or will not work without it being installed on my phone first. I'm new at this stuff myself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones