Gyroscope bearing phones?

Last Updated:

1. nam3l3ss

nam3l3ss New Member This Topic's Starter

Which phones currently on the market have a built in gyroscope?
    (Eg. already released as of 2010-08-20, it does not matter if it's hard to come by because of stock problems.)

So far I have gathered this:

Wikipedia, and a lot of threads around the net, and even some in this very forum suggest that the "Samsung i9000 Galaxy S" does, but I was unable to find any proof: the official site does not list it (at least I didn't find it), Wikipedia does not source it.

Furthermore, I'm unsure if all modells have this feature.
    Someone has already asked this question before me on an android developer forum, but I couldn't dig that post up, and it was unanswered and old anyway.

It is very important that the device bears an actual gyroscope, eg. the SDK method call getSensorList(Sensor.TYPE_ALL) returns a list containing TYPE_GYROSCOPE.

Any concrete, confirmable, sourced information, or pointers?

Thanks in advance. :)

Advertisement
  2. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member

To my knowledge only the Iphone 4 has the ability, but it is not a true gyroscope. Thus far very little use of the added functionality has made its way to real world applications. I suspect that most uses for mapping in all those dimensions will be in games - an area in which Android is still playing catch up.

3. jayson9

jayson9 New Member

But, you got to use a rubber to play with it! So you don't get your sticky little hands on their antennae and screw up your iPhone experience. Talking about being handled....... :eek: That new iphone gots a mind of its own...... <thats what she said>

4. mob_king

mob_king New Member

Hi .. I am also searching for android with real Gyroscope , so that the SensorEvent calls TYPE_GYROSCOPE events. Got to your post while searching, do you have any idea what is recent status for availability of such devices, i mean by 31 October 2010. or in near future.

5. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Epic 4G has a gyroscope I believe

6. Car Guy

Car Guy Member

Pardon my ignorance, but of what use is a gyroscope in a phone?

Accelerometer & compass yes, but gyroscope??

7. uzetaab

uzetaab Well-Known Member

As far as I understand, it's really just an advanced accelerometer & they called it a gyroscope.