Hack Android onto a non-smartphone?

1. VincentAnoid

VincentAnoid Well-Known Member

Is there a way to hack the operating system in my current non-smartphone (Samsung Genio Slide)? Even if it is Eclair or something really old?

Advertisement
    :
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

I wouldn't say no for definite, it's highly unlikely.

The device would need to meet a minimum specification and the ROM would need to be tailored to that specific device.

It would probably take a while to do and you'd be very hard pushed to find a dev who'd be willing to do it as I can imagine they'd say the ends don't really justify the means, sorry.
  3. VincentAnoid

Aww but my phone will be one of a kind then :D. Imagine having Android ICS on the Nokia 3310 xD
  4. Saltine713

Saltine713 Well-Known Member

Pretty much impossible to do by yourself.
  5. VincentAnoid

Nothing is impossible to do, 'devs' were once in my position I bet
  6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Yeah, well, some things are really impossible. Non smartphones generally run on 128-256Mhz processors so..... That's like running Vista on a 600Mhz PC.
  7. VincentAnoid

I'm talking about doing it myself. Hardware wise it would probably be impossible xD
  8. Saltine713

Saltine713 Well-Known Member

You could get the phone to physically look like the phone you want, but all internal components would have to be from a smartphone, especially the CPU.
  9. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy VIP Member

It claims to have 150MB of internal memory. I think that's grounds alone for giving up :p
    El Presidente likes this.