Hacked gmail - what to do?

Last Updated:

1. booone0

booone0 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, my gmail account got hacked. Someone managed to break in, change my password, and send emails to all my contacts. I have created a new gmail account because I can not access the old one through any password recovery methods available through google. After changing passwords and emails on over 20 accounts, I am at my wit's end. I had to export over 400 contacts from my phone, load them up on PC, then cut out just under 300 (where the hell did all those come from?!) to get to my normal >100. /rant.

I am now left with the following dilemmas:

I have a new email address set up on my phone which works right now, but my gcal is stuck on the old address which will obviously not log in. Phone (Droid, 2.1 stock) is telling me I need to do a factory data reset to get the old account off. Is there any way around this?

Also, I have several paid apps. With my original gmail account compromised, and I presume not recoverable, do I just lose all those purchases?

I am also having trouble loading my ical backup file (the only way I can get my calendar events) into my new gmail account. The import screen just sits there, doing nothing.

I tried searching the forum and net for answers, but I found nothing and have exhausted my mental capacity for this for right now. If anyone's gone through this and can offer some advice, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Advertisement
  2. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member

Restore the phone to factory settings and wipe out all your personal data. once done, enter your new g-mail account. let the phone sync all your info. Now access the market through the phone. your phone number should be keyed to the apps you have previously downloaded. You should be able to reinstall them at no cost.

3. booone0

booone0 Member This Topic's Starter

Does this take some time to take effect? I did all of that, and when I go to "downloads" the only thing that shows up is google maps. If I go to any of the apps I've downloaded (bTunes, Better Keyboard, etc) the only way I can download is if I re-purchase them (I have made it all the way to the google checkout screen, and can proceed no further without adding in payment information and making another purchase.)

Thanks for the help.

Paul

4. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

i dont think thats right

apps are linked to your gmail account. not to your phone number

All you can do is contact the developers of your paid apps, explain the situation, and i think they might be able to do something - google checkout code or something

or google dosent have a direct contact us form, so create post on the gmail forums, where a moderator/admin/staff will pick up the thread and hopefull be able to do something to the account database mabye?