Hackers Release Data-Stealing Program to Push Google to Plug Holes at Security Conference

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

Well this is quite the unsettling story. Two “security experts” (I prefer to call them hackers) have drafted up a tool that would allow the user of it to probe an Android device to intercept emails and SMS messages. The program is a “root” utility that disguises itself as a program to help easily root [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. Hangdog42

Hangdog42 Well-Known Member

This has got to be the biggest non-issue ever. This isn't a security threat, there is no exploit. The user has to actively install this and give it root permissions. Someone with a non-rooted phone isn't vulnerable to this, and those who have rooted should know the risks and not give absolutely everything root permission.

This is just a couple of clowns trying to get their 15 minutes.

3. SporkLover

SporkLover Well-Known Member

This is why I like the Super User Permissions program, you can see and grant applications root access as they request it.

I only have 5 programs that have permanent root access, my backup programs (redundancy), wireless tether, juice defender, and quickboot. All of which are somewhat reputable.