Hacking the eris UI!

Last Updated:

1. lewa

lewa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey dudes.

This was easier than I thought it would be. Go to /system/app/Rosie.apk, and dload it to your comp (I just emailed it to myself using Android Mate).

Rename it to Rosie.zip.

Inside are all the images, and even .xml files that control layout and stuff. I figure just edit these images, repack the .apk and push it to the phone.

A bit new to this, so how exactly would you overwrite the old Rosie.apk?

Thanks :) I'll be posting updates once I start editing the GUI.

Advertisement
    alexhendershott likes this.
  2. GrdLock

GrdLock Well-Known Member

FYI, after you repack the file, you'll need to re-sign it as well.

To overwrite the old one, just do "rm /system/app/Rosie.apk" after you remounted the system partition as RW.

3. lewa

Thanks GrdLock. Sorry for the non-savviness, but:

Signing a file: Well I guess I can look this one up.
    Remount the system partition as RW: ?....just plug in the phone? >.<

4. GrdLock

Here's a bash script to sign files: ROMSign.zip
    If you're running windows, you can simply look in the .sh script to see the command you'd need to use to sign a file.

Some HTC apk's can't be signed this way I think. If you have problems, instead of extracting/repackaging the .apk file, just open it up in a zip program and drop the files into it, replacing them.

As for remounting the system partition, open up an adb shell, su, then "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system" will remount the partition with read/write permissions.

alexhendershott likes this.
  5. lewa

Thanks again :) Sorry for not knowing stuff, I'll try to bother as little as possible but just wanna get going here.

I'll probly just go with editing the files in the .zip and renaming it when done.

Just to be sure I got the cmd stuff right:
    Code (Text):
    2. su
    3. adb shell mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    4. rm /system/app/Rosie.apk
    (^lol, I bet that's so wrong that you either cringed or laughed.)

Could I just do this?:
    Code (Text):
    1. adb push Rosie.apk /system/app/Rosie.apk
    Also, what do you think about adding an extra button the the home-bar-thing? It'd be soemthing like: Launcher, Phone, Camera, Add Shortcut/Widget.

6. GrdLock

Code (Text):
    2. adb shell
    3. su
    4. mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    5. rm /system/app/Rosie.apk
    Once you already accessed the phone's shell with "adb shell" you don't need to put the "adb shell" infront of any other commands.

You can't do adb push to get the file there unless you're in the recovery partition, because when the phone's booted into normal mode, you can't push stuff onto the system partition since you don't have root permissions to the partition by default. You have to be in a shell and type "su" to get root permission.

lewa likes this.
  7. lewa

Thanks a ton GrdLock. Unfortunately away from my comp right now, but will try this later.

So, run that command while phone is on, then just restart the phone? Or would I need to do a Vol^ + PowerOn?

8. GrdLock

Everytime you restart your phone it will remount the partition as read-only.

9. alexhendershott

alexhendershott Well-Known Member

Thanks a ton for this! I am a designer myself and would LOVE to start hacking away at the UI. Looking at this more in depth ASAP!

:D

10. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

So let me see if I understand this correctly. Lets say alex makes a custom GUI, he doesnt have to create a whole new ROM for people to enjoy the GUI, he can just create the new file and post that and we just install it?

11. GrdLock

Depending on what he's changing, yes, he wouldn't have to make an entirely new rom.

12. droidkevlar

Sweetness. Now just need people to start making custom GUI's. lol I really need to learn more. Im just having problems doing a restore after a flash for apps. So once I get over that hurdel, Ill move ontot hte harder stuff like this, lol

13. alexhendershott

alexhendershott Well-Known Member

I come from iPhone jailbreaking/customizing etc. I made themes frequently. :D I'll be on this right away now that I can figure out what to do.

Have you tried a NAND backup? Boot into recovery once you're happy with a setup and do a NAND backup. From now on you can restore from that backup and it saves all apps, settings, screens, etc. However if you flash to a newer ROM you want to keep, you'd have to use something else to backup apps. I heard Astro works well...

14. lewa

Awesome, glad other people are getting excited about this.

Still deciding what kinda style I want to go with. HTC already did a sleek/non-shaded style, so I guess I'll go with something more depthy. My gallery in case you're interested: CheeseEnthusiast on deviantART

15. droidkevlar

Ya, mastered NAND as that is the first thing anyone flashing should learn. Its pretty straight fwd. But for all the apps/settings for after when you flash. Con of Astro is that it doesnt give you updates in the market. Nor keep settings. So I am trying titanium now but getting screwy with that as well. Its just trial and error of what I need to keep and what not to recover.

Cant wait for you guys to release some new GUI's. That is only reason I am trying another ROM as GrdLocks is perfect.