Had Ally, went to Droid 2... quickly back to AllyGeneral

Last Updated:

1. joeymogul

joeymogul Active Member This Topic's Starter

Funny story... I left Sprint to get the iPhone 4 thru AT$T... that sucked so I sold the phone and cancelled my contract. I have to pay an ETF but the money from the sale of the iPhone should cover it. So then I went on my sister's Verizon family plan and was pleasantly surprised to see this decent phone LG Ally free through BestBuy. So I signed up and used the LG Ally for about 1 week. Then I rooted it and put Trident's amazing V2 on it... it's a completely different phone. But I kept feeling like I didn't want a last gen phone so I exchanged it after 3 weeks for the Motorola Droid 2.

I was so disappointed in the Droid 2 that I returned it after 4 days and got a new Ally. I had to pay $50 this time as the phone is no longer free, so I'm pissed at myself for doing that but I've already flashed my previous backup of V2 to it and I am much happier with this phone. The D2's keyboard is really bad, not to mention the major E-Mail oversight that won't allow Simple Password Authentication with private E-Mail (Not Gmail). And you don't realize how much you rely on the status light until it's gone / mono. The LG's light changes color dependent on what alert you have waiting. It's actually very useful once I got used to it.

Anyways, Thanks to Trident for making this phone much better and I'm shocked at Motorola for making such a low par device. It's good, not $200 good... Ally is great for free (or $50 if you're stuck like I was)

Advertisement
  2. phlfly

phlfly Member

what is a Trident's amazing V2?
    how did you flashed to V2

3. Mitchell4500

Mitchell4500 Well-Known Member

Its a ROM. If you look around the forums you can find it. If you need help visit my support chat.

4. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

The D2's notification light does not change color based on the notification!? Why would they go a step back from the D1?

5. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Motorola are taking steps back in general, no real reason to pick their devices over others nowadays. If you're outside the US then they don't care about you. :p

I like the LG's keyboard, one of the best out there, the Milestone's keyboard is terrible and so is the Backflip's.

6. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

I've had my Droid since day 2 and recently got an Ally for my son. In some respects I jealous. The only thing I really don't like about the Ally is the decreased sensitivity of the touch screen when compared to the Droid.

7. joeymogul

Hey UncleMike, is the original screen protector still on? I guarantee it's still on it. I didn't even realize there was one on until like 2 weeks after it. Rub your thumb where the sensors are and you'll feel it if its still on. That will improve the sensitivity.

8. UncleMike

I got the device used, so it's likely that the original owner removed it. I know it's sometimes hard to see, but I can't find any indication that it's still there. Maybe I'll go check one out in the store and see if it's the same - maybe it's just this particular one that's this way.

Thanks for the idea...

9. sookster54

Is the LG still running in LG UI? That causes a bit of overhead lag, switch it to android home with home selector or install Zeam Launcher (my preference)

10. UncleMike

It's not a lag issue, it's a sensitivity issue. The Ally screen requires a firmer touch than the Droid screen does. I'm already using LauncherPro, and switch back and forth between that and the Android Launcher with no difference.

11. skater95

skater95 Well-Known Member

Can I ask why you didn't just trade the Droid 2, for an Incredible, Droid x, or Fascinate?

12. sookster54

I posted in another thread that LP was giving me problems too, did you try a lighter launcher? I found Zeam Launcher to work great, I said in the other thread that LP was eating up memory and constantly redrawing the screen- it wasn't playing nice on the LG whereas it runs flawlessly on my Desire.

I don't notice a sensitivity issue between different phones, but like I said the LG presented lag in response when touching, the Motorola Quench I had before was terrible in response and definitely needed a firm touch.

13. joeymogul

Well, the full keyboard was a must so that excludes the Droid X and Incredible. I didn't even research or consider the Fascinate since I was both, trying to save money and found myself missing my LG Ally. I remember glancing over all the phones and the Fascinate was too large.

14. skater95

skater95 Well-Known Member

Oh, I understand. Well I don't like keyboards so I want an Incredible, which I am getting.

15. sookster54

Seriously if you looking for a phone with a keyboard, the LG is one of the best out there. I'd also suggest the Motorola Charm, however it comes with major issues plus Motorola are being such asshats.

16. Gride250

Gride250 Active Member

I agree! My ally is so sensitive. But to check if there is a screen protector take a razor blade to the screen!
    I work for Wireless Advocates so I sell Verizon, AT&T and Tmobile. Trust me it wont hurt it. I do it everyday to my personal phone to show customers the nice screen.
    That aside I had the droid X and the Droid 2 before the public could even buy it. My verizon concession account manager let me test both for 2 weeks right before they were released. I dont think the droid X is more sensitive than the ally! The droid was just laggy in my opinion. Although I never got to root them and install custom roms like i did for my Ally.

17. darkxsun

darkxsun Well-Known Member

... what?!?