Had enough of the GalaxyGeneral

Last Updated:

1. acrleyton

acrleyton Member This Topic's Starter

I've decided enough is enough with the Galaxy and it's time to move on. A brand new HTC Desire is on its way to me and will hopefully arrive tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who's posted information on firmware upgrades. JC4 has made this phone slightly more bearable. However, as it looks like Samsung and O2 have pretty much dropped support for this handset I was left with no choice but to buy something else. I just couldn't cope with it any more!

Time to list it on eBay!

Advertisement
  2. dreli

dreli Member

Ok, but who cares? I really don't see the point of creating a new thread.

3. acrleyton

Sorry, are there rules about creating new threads?

I just wanted to thank those on this forum who have contributed firmware upgrade advice and have made my time with the Samsung Galaxy slightly more bearable than it might have been. Next time I just won't bother. :(

Hopefully the Desire thread will be a little friendlier!

4. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

good luck with your new venture, the desire is a nice device although the bugs with contacts is a big issue (1st person to phone you will be the same person listen even if your gran phones you itll come up as that same person for the rest of the day. affects sms aswell)

if i could afford to buy another phone off contract i would move aswell

5. tsphere

tsphere Well-Known Member

You sure that's what you meant to write, man? :D

6. Rastaman-FB

there should have been a comma and a colon there but i cba editing

hilarious times in the office where we prank my mate when he gets in and then he kicks off cos were pranking him.

one of his friends or family calls and he shouts "look, will you just f-off" , "oh hi mum"

7. acrleyton

Thanks Rastaman-FB. :) Yes, hopefully HTC will fix the contacts issue soon. Good job no such bug exists with the Galaxy!

8. Pennywis3

Pennywis3 Well-Known Member

Well, until the apps can be installed on the SD card, i hold the lack of space ( 120 Mb is it? ) for apps as a big big issue on Desire. hopefully 2.2 version will support it, until then i wouldn't buy it.
    It's annoying when it starts to warn you you're running out of space.

It's not something to be scared of too much, but just the feeling alone of the god damn limitation would freak me out :)
    Much like on Galaxy, when YOU KNOW, you're running out of memory hehe.

9. Andronix

Andronix Well-Known Member

there is apps2sd for desire so already no problem

10. dreli

dreli Member

gie62001 and acrleyton like this.
  11. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I feel you, mate. I'm going that same way myself as soon as I can bring myself to part with that much money again.

Galaxy had a lot of potential ... but potential ain't enough.

12. Kouske

Kouske Well-Known Member

except for being a faster device and having 2.1 i dont see how desire is a better device than the galaxy...with gaosp 2.1 i think the galaxy will work just fine...id wait a bit more for some more breakthroughs and then buy a new device...

13. acrleyton

I think that one sentence describes the Galaxy percectly!

14. biggdaniell

biggdaniell Well-Known Member

Neah...I think my description of the galaxy IS the perfect one!!

15. acrleyton

16. biggdaniell

biggdaniell Well-Known Member

There's app2sd already possible with desire (after root) and I'm pretty sure v2.2 will have native support.
    Even if we would be stuck with this "limitation" I don't understand what's all the fuss about it...my biggest application is 13mB (motonav) and all the rest are smaller than 4mB each (most are 0.x mB). I have quite a few installed apps and still have 40mB free (after more than 9 months of browsing through the market and searching the web for useful apps).

Regarding the contact issue...I don't understand what Rastaman said and I can't find any issues with the contact app. It's this issue supposed to affect everyone?

17. acrleyton

I don't appear to have the contact issue described by Rastaman.

18. Rastaman-FB

well its the whole reason o2 havent launched it yet. htc launch firmware had this problem

19. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

They have actually.

I also know of 4 people with HTC desires, none of them have had this problems (none of them on O2 either).

20. Rastaman-FB

the firware launching with o2 does not have this issue, its why o2 delayed launch. theyve only just launched it then.

trust me

21. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Oookay ... the time has come. A brand new HTC Desire is on its way to me. I'm really hoping this will be a better experience!

The Galaxy has been running Galaxo since v1632 came out, and it certainly gave it (and me) another lease on life. But still, there are too many times where it just ...hangs... and generally can't be bothered to do anything I want it to. I blew a major fuse yesterday on account of this, and that just can't go on.

I'll be hanging on to the Galaxy for a short while (backup, fall-back plan?), but it will be sold soon. If it's still worth more than its postage, that is.

22. zstef

zstef Active Member

Despite everything, I think Galaxy is a bit underrated. It has its advantages. Like the screen.
    But I must say that I was expecting more from Desire, especially from 1GHz processor and having much more memory. In comparison with Galaxy, Desire UI isn't as fluid as it should be.
    Maybe it's all Google's fault, maybe it's Android that isn't polished enough yet.
    But atm Froyo and the beast inside Galaxy S look like the winning combination.

23. Snazzy

Snazzy Well-Known Member

24. shmuel

shmuel Member

So, for people who have used both the Galaxy and Desire, is it that much of an improvement? I have an opportunity to get rid of my Galaxy too, but I'm not sure whether or not to stick with Android. The touchscreens on any of the Android phones I've used are anywhere near as responsive as my iPod Touch and from what I understand even the Desire has problems.