1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Had no clue how awesome a gyroscope in a phone was until I watched this...

1. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

Just get yourself to a best buy and play Wii Resort... Then play Wii Sports...

1:1...
  2. seigex

seigex Well-Known Member

accuracy... Accelerometer is basically something that detects G's in particular directions ie x y or z access, a gyroscope can sense rotation in any direction ... and respond accurate and fast due to the spinning rotor, and gimbal...

its a little more in depth than that but basically think of one of those machines that you attach both your arms and legs to and someone spins you... thats similar to a gyroscope setup except it has a spinning rotor inside of it.. and since its spinning so fast centrifugal force causes it sense any rotation and put out an error signal telling the OS what direction the rotation was...

here's a good article about the differences:

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-gyroscope-and-accelerometer/
  3. jerzeywill

jerzeywill Well-Known Member

iPhone has gyroscope but has too many dropped calls and crappy network. Goodluck being stuck on highway when car breaks down and you can't make phone calls. At least you can play games with gyroscope on the curb with glass phone. The glass phone can also be used as coaster for coffee.
  4. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

This could be true with any cell phone... The iPhone however would have more accurate gaming :cool:
  5. seigex

seigex Well-Known Member

as long as the game doesn't require internet access :)
  6. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

Just tether it on your EVO duh...
  7. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

I know what a gyroscope is, but how is it better than accelerometers?
  8. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

You can't explain it with words... Let's just say if you try to mimic someone like a mirror vs a mirror...

The mirror is the gyro, you're the accelerometer...
    Jadien likes this.
  9. seigex

seigex Well-Known Member

read the post, accelerometer detects movement along an axis, gyroscope detects rotation.... seems pretty simple to me... picture that game in the video.. do you think movement along an access or rotation would be more accurate for aiming the gun?
  10. reemas

reemas Well-Known Member

the gyroscope is a gimmick. give me 10 FPS games on the EVO and a sexy lag!
  11. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

I don't know, accelerometers operate in 3 axes which essentially cover the motion, rotational or otherwise.
  12. reemas

reemas Well-Known Member

13. mbaseball3

mbaseball3 Well-Known Member

Just get a psp to play games. I'll keep my phone for calls messaging and internet thank you. Imo, a fail! If apple wants to 'compete' in gaming world then they need to make an igamer or something crappy to follow suit of their other products. Oh don't forget to hold it properly Lololol

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk
  14. reemas

reemas Well-Known Member

good point. while you're at it, get a dedicated calendar to manage your busy days. and don't take photos on your evo, that's so lololololoooooool. get a real camera!

and 30 FPS cap? well, who cares cause it only affects games!

65k display? hey... at least its 4.3" of a 65k display. i'm surprised the Droid, iPhone, Galaxy and EVERY other "smart" phone doesn't have a 65k display. they all show millions of colors. LOL at those screens!!
    Android>Apple and beavis39001 like this.
  15. CPR

CPR Well-Known Member

I guess the iPhone needs something for the user to do instead of make calls.
  16. reemas

reemas Well-Known Member

guys, if you keep saying, get "another device" to do all this stuff... why get a smartphone in the first place??

just save money, get a simple phone, and buy other gear.
  17. reemas

reemas Well-Known Member

haha, as a former AT&T customer, i couldn't agree with you more. hence the reason to jump ship to anyone else.
  18. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Guest

I understand the gyro when it was announced and don't understand it now. Eban after watching that video.

According to the posted link, which is referencing aircraft use, an accelerometer measures orientation to the Earth. While a Gyro measures orientation around it's own axis.

Seems like is comparing oranges and tangerines. They both get the job done, unless as in the article your in a free fall, combined with the compass and the right programming I'd bet the movement could be just as smooth.
    I'll concede the Evo would never get that level of detail in the graphics.

Try Layar. The "map", although a wireframe, moves pretty fluid and is very sensitive when trying to isolate things near the same plane.
  19. 1Paladin

1Paladin Active Member

I am still new to Android but I have played with a few applications already that I can move around like this. I am unsure what is so new here.
  20. mbaseball3

mbaseball3 Well-Known Member

Winds of steel demo mimics the same movements in a dog fight as this 'gyroscope'. Can you say, gimmick? Seriously, go download the demo and tell me its different than what this Icrap is trying to imitate.

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk
  21. eshy

eshy New Member

I don't expect my Evo, or any of the smartphones I had before, to do a better job then dedicated devices. My DSLR will always take much much better pictures than any phone on the market ever will. A dedicated gaming console will always have a better game experience.

Smartphones were never about taking pictures and playing games, what's smart abour playing games?
    It was always about being able to access information, like email and internet, and run different applications that are useful when you're out and about.
    The only thing games on a phone are good for is draining battery.

Apple made it clear they see the iphone as a competitor in the mobile gaming arena. So they put emphasis on that (and completly ignored having decent reception so you can make calls while holding the phone in your hands...)
    lilparker2009 likes this.
  22. Roq

Roq Well-Known Member

EVO seems pretty good at detecting what you are aiming at when using Google Sky...
  23. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I have to say that was pretty badass. I'm not a big gamer but if I was I'd really want that.
  24. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Yes, that would be a good application for the gyroscope, but that's assuming your iPhone is calibrated to the planes attitude, pitch, yaw, roll. All of the planes instruments must be calibrated and if the iPhone cannot detect the attitude of the plane, then IFR would be useless. Using VFR, you can fly a plane with out the insruments. And also to perform Instrument only landing, you need the phone to receive radio signals from the ILS to land you in bad weather. :)
  25. RestivoBC

RestivoBC Well-Known Member