• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HALP ME! Stratosphere makes home WiFi lag

Hello. I am having a problem with my home wifi and what seems to be whenever my brothers Samsung Stratosphere has wifi on.

I play League of Legends and whenever he turns his wifi on I lag periodically every few seconds. He is just running netflix most of the time and we have the highest tier of speed availible from our ISP so I am pretty sure its not a bandwidth issue. I have tested having three of our other computers on all running MULTIPLE instants of HD Netflix and no lag. Its something on the phone or some kinda setting in the router that the phone uses that my laptops wouldn't.

HALP ME!

I have tried a ton of basic stuff. There are no apps running in the background that I notice that are dragging down the WiFi from the the phone, I have reset and updated firmware on router. This just makes little to no sense. When we turn WiFi off on the phone the lag instantly resolves itself.

Any ideas?

Hello. I am having a problem with my home wifi and what seems to be whenever my brothers Samsung Stratosphere has wifi on.

I play League of Legends and whenever he turns his wifi on I lag periodically every few seconds. He is just running netflix most of the time and we have the highest tier of speed availible from our ISP so I am pretty sure its not a bandwidth issue. I have tested having three of our other computers on all running MULTIPLE instants of HD Netflix and no lag. Its something on the phone or some kinda setting in the router that the phone uses that my laptops wouldn't.

HALP ME!

Hello furtwinsitall. I think I can halp you: try changing the router's channel (1-11), as it's possible there is too much traffic on the channel now activated.

If you don't have access to the wifi router's settings, find the person who does. :D

Also, you might test the Strat's influence on the router and your slowdowns by using wifi at another source, public or private (another router, in other words ;)). If no lag, perhaps the issue is a transient one, or caused by another device or combination thereof.

Upvote 0
Hello furtwinsitall. I think I can halp you: try changing the router's channel (1-11), as it's possible there is too much traffic on the channel now activated.

If you don't have access to the wifi router's settings, find the person who does. :D

Also, you might test the Strat's influence on the router and your slowdowns by using wifi at another source, public or private (another router, in other words ;)). If no lag, perhaps the issue is a transient one, or caused by another device or combination thereof.
I think Frisco is on the right track for the first few steps to look at this, and actually your Stratosphere (or other smartphone with WiFi) might be useful to help figure out what's going on. Down the app called WiFi Analyzer, it can scan for all nearby APs and what channel they are using and recommend the clearest channel to use for your router. Also, I would recommend turning on WMM QoS in your router if it has that capability. Whatever you do, do not let the router "Auto" select a channel, I don't know of any router that does this elegantly.

Also, what make and model router are you using? is the firmware current?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones