• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent after recent update

My Handcent widget is gone too. I can't add it back?

The widget is the the icon with the bubble that shows number of new unread messages.

The shortcut program icon doesn't have the message bubble.

I went into the program and went to about and it shows I have version 2.9.12. Marketplace shows that I have 2.9.15 installed. :(

Debating on uninstalling and reinstalling...which means I lose my settings...or hoping that a new update comes sooon.

Upvote 0
You will not lose your settings by doing an uninstall / reinstall, only takes a min. I did it through the marketplace.
I did the uninstall/reinstall and it lost all my settings. I knew what they were though after a couple of phone resets you tend to remember things like that. Anyway, just so you know your settings may be lost.

Upvote 0
Don't uninstall and reinstall. Instead, backup all apps using astro file manager before soft reset. Then go back into astro after reset and reinstall from your backup. You'll lose handcent listed in your downloads in the marketplace, but won't have to redo all your settings. You can then just use an app like aTrackdog to check for updates. I do this for all apps affected by the icon/name/version issue after a reset. Cheers.

Upvote 0
Once you have it installed DON'T soft reset! Doing that will mess Handcent up (the widget at least) and force you to uninstall/reinstall (which fixes it). What a PITA, I can't wait for Sprint to fix the stupid stock one (I like it) so I can ditch Handcent and it's daily updates (fixed this but broke that).

BTW, every time you unistall/reinstall make sure to hit the "it's defective" reason. I think it gets someones attention.

Upvote 0
Once you have it installed DON'T soft reset! Doing that will mess Handcent up (the widget at least) and force you to uninstall/reinstall (which fixes it). What a PITA, I can't wait for Sprint to fix the stupid stock one (I like it) so I can ditch Handcent and it's daily updates (fixed this but broke that).

BTW, every time you unistall/reinstall make sure to hit the "it's defective" reason. I think it gets someones attention.

Like I said above, don't uninstall at all. You'll just be making more work for yourself. Saying "don't soft reset" is easier said than done. I've had 2 instances where the phone reset on its own.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones