Handcent & default SMS app working in tandem help?

Last Updated:

1. videonastie

videonastie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is it possible to get to the HTC's SMS message widget app to open up the Inbox of Handcent? I've turned everything off in the Desire's default messages app, but it still continues to open the HTC message app. Also when I've sent an SMS & press back, it automatically goes to the HTC message app?? Will pressing 'Force Stop' in the manage applications section stop the HTC app, or will it stop everything to do with the SMS functionality?

I've read all I can on this & other sites, but I can't get it to change. Is this just the way it is & it may be altered in the future, or has anyone got a way around it?

Advertisement
  2. tbl

tbl Well-Known Member

I've just disabled everything to do with the HTC app and all is ok. It could be a bit more seamless though.

Are you using Handcent pop ups?

3. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

It should be completely seamless.

Do this once, together with clicking 'clear defaults' in the same area. Next time you press a button in handcent you may get a popup asking you which app to use, select use always and select handcent. Let us know if this works.

4. videonastie

I tried it,but no go. It still opened the inbox of the HTC messages app. When I went back to the Manage Applications section, force stop was lit again???

5. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Are you using the handcent icon to open your messages from the home screen or notification bar?

6. videonastie

No, I'm using the. HTC message widget, full screen. I can compose, but the default inbox is always the HTC message app??

7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

That's why. The scrollable widget is for the message app, not handcent ;)

8. hocturnalsoul

hocturnalsoul Well-Known Member

Try uninstalling Handcent then reinstalling it. go to people, open any contact, and hit send sms. This should then pop up and ask you which app you want to set as defult sms sender:D

9. hocturnalsoul

Not true, I'm using the HTC widget and when I tap on any message I've scrolled to it opens Handcent

10. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

The messages widget is a bit funny. Some of its functionality sends you to handcent, some to the default messages app. I think it must be something to do with the service calls of hte widget.

11. hocturnalsoul

Yea, I've just had a little play and found that if you tap on the actual message or the 2 icon to the very bottom edges of the message it sends you to Handcent, however if you hit the 2 icons at the very bottom in the middle it sends you to the HTC message app?!?

And Snap lekky, HTC Hero and Desire, great minds think alike, and have great taste it seems too;)

12. videonastie

Uninstalled Handset & reinstalled it, but no joy, inbox still opens up as default message app.

Completely off topic, while I was messing around, a strange fan noise came on the phone & I could only stop it, by shutting the phone down. Has anyone else experienced this??

13. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

Same here. I'm sure the first time I used the widget after installing Handcent, it asked me whether I wanted to use Handcent from now-on or the standard HTC app.