1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Handcent - Displaying wrong number

Last Updated:

1. stevenma188

stevenma188 Member This Topic's Starter

I recently installed Handcent SMS, and really like the features over the Messages app. However, for some reason one of my contacts keep showing up as an incorrect phone number. His number is 519 xxx xxxx, but it shows up as 549 xxx xxxx, but is still linked with the account. When I try to reply, it sends it to 549. I tried deleting his contact info completely from my phone, and checked that his number is not on any of the accounts the phone syncs with. Even with that, I tried texting him, and the number reverts back to 549 xxx xxxx. Interestingly, his number is correct in the Messages app.

Advertisement
  2. Menddles

Menddles Guest

Have you linked his name in your phonebook to his facebook profile? If so he might of put his phone number on FB and wrote it in wrong. Your phone could be reading his FB phone number as the primary number for him.

3. stevenma188

I checked, and there is no phone number in his facebook profile, or any of the other linked accounts to his name.

Also, even when all of his contact info has been deleted, his number still shows up as 549.

4. Menddles

Menddles Guest

In which case I don't know. You can always email Handcent from the market place asking them for help.

5. stevenma188

Yup, I did that, but still no response. Oh well.

6. Menddles

Menddles Guest

give them time. handcent is a heavily used app, they might get quite a few emails day.

7. Brinkley1988

Brinkley1988 Well-Known Member

Could you try to backup the current data, and then wipe up all data for Handcent SMS (You could do this in the app manager), then try again?

8. stevenma188

I think I have the same problem using ChompSMS. How should I back up the current data? I've tried installing and uninstalling both apps multiple times.

9. meangreengdub

meangreengdub Well-Known Member

Same problem here. Any fix for this???

10. stevenma188

An update, Handcent released a new update recently, and still same problem.

11. Poldie

Poldie Well-Known Member

If it's also wrong in ChompSMS then it's unlikely an update to handcent would fix it. Do you have his number on sim card, phone, linked to gmail account etc? It must be stored incorrectly somewhere.

12. stevenma188

I have no numbers stored on the sim, the account is linked to a gmail account as well as a facebook account, neither of which have phone numbers.

Even when I tried to completely delete this contact's information off the phone, the number still shows up incorrectly.

13. ghostcorps

ghostcorps New Member

Same here.

I am in Australia using an imported AT&T Dell Streak running 1.6 with Rebel SIM.

I have trouble with just one number: eg. 0408123456 shows as being received from 0148123456

This happens with both the standard messaging app and with Handcent SMS.

The number is with the same carrier as I am, they tracked the message and saw no issues, so it seems to be a local glitch.

I have also tried clearing the contact details from google and on the phone but it made no difference.