Handcent Hype.General

Last Updated:

1. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

when i first got my eris (in Jan.) i installed this because everyone on here was saying how amazing it is! So i installed it. It didn't work properly and kept force closing. So i installed chomp. Chomp is amazing and i freakin love it. I still see people talking about hancent so i decided to give it another try last night.

My g/f sent me a picture message 3 times and i didnt get a single one of those messages with handcent. it would randomly erase texts as soon as i replied to them. I quickly uninstalled it and ran back to chomp.

tl;dr - tried handcent 2 times and sucked both times. Im sticking with chomp.

Advertisement
  2. jayochs

jayochs Well-Known Member

yeah, i hate handcent. just seems slower than even the stock app, and on top of it, all the convo styles look like shit. the bubbles are ******ed, the iphone look is ******ed, and the stock droid is cluttered and annoying to read. the best so far, IMO, is the stock app. It has a bar seperating each text, and it has the persons picture next to every single message. why the hell couldn't they implement that into chomp or handcent? i love the features of those two, but hate the presentation. tsk tsk

3. Shnuddy

Shnuddy Well-Known Member

Gee, you guys sure told us! I must be an idiot for liking Handcent! :mad:

Meaning to say, that everyone is entitled to their opinion and just because you think you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong. :p

4. jayochs

jayochs Well-Known Member

...did i once imply that anyone who used handcent was an idiot? re-read my post, please, then edit to accommodate.

i simply stated that i didn't like it for how it looks and acts.

5. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I think you may have read those the wrong way. Neither post read as being negative against people who like Handcent. I think these guys are just saying that it doesn't work for them.

Personally, the only feature I like about Handcent is the pop up.

6. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

The only feature that I really like about Handcent is the pop up, so I decided to go with SMS Popup. For some reason, my message list gets extremely laggy with Handcent.

7. Shnuddy

Hey, I ended with a smile. Sort of. :)

8. rick311

shunddy, you arent an idiot for liking handcent.

chomp has a popup, but i like sms popup's more. so i use both in combination with each other.

9. Shnuddy

Thanks, rick ;)

10. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

I use chomp sms for regular texting, and then just open the stock app when someone sends me an mms

11. CrazyKnight128

CrazyKnight128 Well-Known Member

I use handcent with out any problems i get my msg they get sent just fine, And everything seems to load nice and quick.

12. Cajun83

Cajun83 Well-Known Member

I've actually been thinking about checking Chomp out... I ahve had Handcent since day one and I don't use the popup feature...

this thread pushed me... going DL chomp now. :)

13. Natas

Natas Well-Known Member

I liked Handcent over Chomp. No problems.

Pics of gf? ;)

14. Cajun83

Cajun83 Well-Known Member

Checked out Chomp... uninstalled. Didn't like the ads on everything...

15. v941726

v941726 Well-Known Member

I started out with hands scent but now like chomp much better. It does handle mms much better and I vet popups. I'm pretty sure you can add pictures to it too

16. rick311

she just had surgery and she was trying to send me pics of the flowers i sent her. i STILL dont know what they look like.

17. chaM87

chaM87 Well-Known Member

chomp > handcent. When I had my Eris I tried both. Chomp was the obvious choice.

18. jdeguzman

jdeguzman Member

had handcent since day 1 (Feb.) and no problems. Love that I can make text bigger (b/c my eyesight sucks). Curious about chomps widget. Anyone offer any feedback on that? What about font size customization?

19. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

I've been using Chomp for years...uh I mean months :p and haven't had any problem, hasn't been laggy, sends sms and mms just fine, resizes pics automatically and suits my needs. It has a widget but I don't use it but I do like the quick reply. Used Handcent years...i mean months ago and didn't like it for some reason. But it is just one of those things. Handcent vs. Chomps, Shapewriter vs. Swype, Twitroid vs. whatever. It is mostly personal preference and sometimes that one little thing an app does that another one doesn't that make ppl pick it over another that does basically the same thing. But I do like to hear ppl's opinions about what it is they like about a certain app and deciding myself if I want to try it out...that is one of the main purposes of this forum, imo. So....it's all good. No worries.

20. eghill1125

eghill1125 Well-Known Member

I have been using Handcent from the beginning on my Eris. I do believe it is definitely slower than the Stock Messenger was when I tried it originally. I would go back to the Stock one if there was any way to have custom notification sounds for each contact without using another program on top of it like SMS pop-up. For now, I don't think that is possible still, so I will continue with Handcent. I am constantly streamlining my phone of unwanted apps and 1 messenger would be great to have.

21. rick311

i think i am just destined to use chomp. handcent hasnt worked for me at all. 2 bucks to get rid of ads on chomp and it's golden!

22. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Rick... go visit her!!!! :mad:

I have been using Handcent since day one. I tried Chomp for a few days and actually really liked it. I was about to pay to get the ads removed...
    but there was one feature that sent me back to Handcent.

I regularly send LONG text messages. Handcent automatically turns it into a nice MMS so it arrives in one message.
    Chomp wouldn't do that (or i couldn't figure it out), and it breaks the message into dozens of little messages.
    I emailed Chomp but got no reply... so they dont get my money:D....

Any know if there is a way to do this on Chomp?

23. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

that was fixed with the 2.1ota as far as I know. No longer a problem with Chomps. It was kind of a pain before but i am not a heavy heavy texter so wasn't a problem much for me. If I knew hancent used sending it as a mms to get around it, I might have tried it out again. Of course, the issue is moot now.

24. goofdad

goofdad Well-Known Member

I use handcent for the individual settings ... per-person signatures and per-person notifications. The fact that I can have texts to my kids signed differently than messages to my wife differently than messages to my parents differently than messages to other acquaintances is a big selling point for me. I couldn't find a way to do that in the stock app or in Chomp, so Handcent it is.

cableguynoe likes this.
  25. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

I use antibacterial so I don't have handcent.

korben dallas and cableguynoe like this.