Handcent lag?

Last Updated:

1. tracii_amazinggg

tracii_amazinggg Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm on my phone and the "similar threads" thing didn't pop up so...

Anyone else using Handcent have a serious lag when you open it?
    Like I mean 5 to 10 seconds before my text threads pop up.
    It didn't used to do this when I first started using it, and every once in a while it pops up right when I click it... but 9x out of 10 it lags real bad.

Damn and my text input on the internet lags too. Damn.
    Help? :)

Advertisement
  2. swaze

swaze Well-Known Member

Try a hard reset, and a clearing your cache.

3. ItsDon

ItsDon Well-Known Member

I'm running Fresh 1.1 and it was running great until..... I installed Handcent. My whole phone then had a noticeable lag, everywhere. I didn't know what it was at first but when I uninstalled it my phone's zippiness came right back. I won't use it again until it is fixed. I really liked the "text to speech" but making my whole phone slower just isn't worth it.

4. 305Cane

305Cane Well-Known Member

oddly enough, i updated chompsms and it is lagging just how you describe. i installed handcent to be able to batch delete and its snappy as heck. no issues. interesting indeed. Hero needs to be able to better delete messages too

5. LTZguy

LTZguy Well-Known Member

Yes i have had that problem too. just uninstalled handcent just now and the zippyness seems like its back. i installed it right when i got the phone because of the sleeping issue and i never went back to factory...now i did.

6. LTZguy

LTZguy Well-Known Member

Should i have auto retreive set on or off on the factory messaging?

7. cvam1985

cvam1985 Well-Known Member

Opening handcent lags horribly for me as well. But it does not affect the rrst of my phone.

One tip to speed it up is to delete large threads.

What I do is use quick compose which is a long press of the hard search key in conjunction with the pop up quick replies. Only ever have to open the app to read old messages and receive mms.

8. LTZguy

LTZguy Well-Known Member

Well i like the look of hancent, but the fuction of the factory one is better. when they fix it i might go back. they have sent a few updates that was supposed to fix it, but it seems like its still hasnt been fixed yet.

9. flexte

flexte Well-Known Member

i emailed the author 2 weeks ago about the lag after the last update. she is aware of it and asked if i was interested in testing a beta version of the program. never heard back from her since. please email the author i prefer handcent over the default app but the lag is not bearable.

10. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

I've been having that same lag recently, running Fresh1.1 with the old taskbar and clear lockscreen. I don't think this lag has anything to do with large threads, as my largest thread is only like 250 messages. Might just be a slight glitch in the most recent update. Reboot your phone, it helped slightly for me.

11. cirehawk

cirehawk Well-Known Member

What issues are you having with the default app? The update indeed fixed it for me. Initially my phone was still not sleeping correctly. However, I did a factory reset after the update and my phone sleeps correctly now. As for the Handcent lag issue, I too experienced it and finally switched back to the default app. Like you, I like how handcent looks but the default app seems to function better. Besides, whenever I tried to send a text message to an email address, Handcent would automatically convert it to an MMS message and take forever to send it.

12. LTZguy

LTZguy Well-Known Member

I've had to reboot my phone several times due to some other issues and in the rebooting handcent didnt operate any better. I have been using the stock messaging for the last couple hours and its waaaay faster in loading. i like that. When i first got the phone, it would not sleep due to the default messaging, now that we got the MR a month or two ago, it sleeps fine. I just never stopped using handcent due to the look.

13. T Mac

T Mac Well-Known Member

I have never used the stock messaging app. Until now! I had handcent from day one. But for the last couple weeks it has been very laggy and choppy and slow in general. Its gone, and I'm now using the stock app. I have sent only a couple messgaes and it is very fast and seems to work great. I also like the message boxes instead of the bubbles. No keyboard lag, no startup lag. We'll see. Anyone else?

14. adirdam23

adirdam23 Member

Yes. I had been having too many problems with handcent, late messages both late and received and sometimes not at all. So I uninstalled it and downloaded chomp..no problems at all!

15. cin925

cin925 Member

I was having the same problem. I just went out to the Market Place and there is an Update for Handcent. It seems to be better. It is still not as quick as the standard product, but at least bearable now. Then again I just completed the update. Time will tell if it goes back to its lame self.

16. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

What kind of lag are you people having though?

I use handcent and I see no lag at all, maybe a 2-3 sec lag when it starts. That's about it, other than that it's running smooth on my phone.

17. cin925

cin925 Member

The lag time was 5 - 10 seconds. My is now back to 2-3 seconds, which is just fine for me. Still the generic standard app is a tad quicker.

18. BSki

BSki Well-Known Member

I switched to chomp as it just seemed faster. (And manages the keyboard better) I don't need all the bells and whistles of Handcent.

Handcent seems to have a much nicer popup. Chomp doesn't seem to handle the lock screen quite right.

19. howiesf

howiesf Well-Known Member

I too am having major issues with Handcent. The slowness started with an update in early December. I have like 5 threads and none of them have more than 10 messages. I have tried uninstalling, rebooting, clearing the cache from the stock app (which it still uses in the background), reinstalled and the first few times it was quick. Now, it takes 5-12 seconds to open. I use the Quick Compose which helps, but turning on the Pop-up seems to eat my battery even more. Anyone else experience this type of behavior?

Beyond the extra settings in Handcent which blow the stock app away, I was rarely able to send pictures using the stock app. Handcent pulls up the "picture must be resized..." message, two times, but it always sends succesfully. I just wish there was a setting that would automatically compress the picture in Handcent.

If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve the slowness issues, please POST !

Thanks

20. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

There's an update available for Handcent (at least, mine). Looks like it addresses slow load issues.

EDIT: It certainly seems to improve the start up speed considerably (after the first load of the update that is).

21. tracii_amazinggg

tracii_amazinggg Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

wow thanks for all these responses!
    see, i went to Handcent because originally I had that BankofAmerica text update problem, so the stock msg app would start sending texts to all the wrong people and mixing up contacts in different threads and stuff..
    so i did a hard reset then that problem was solved but i found out about the phone's sleeping issue... and decided to stay with Handcent. my battery life has improved noticibly but this lag to start Handcent just sucks.

i havent rooted or done anything else to my phone, its all stock programs.

i'll have to check this out
    and possibly contact the author, as was mentioned a few posts up :)

22. howiesf

howiesf Well-Known Member

Yes, the newest release did launch quickly- like twice, and now it's back to being just as slow as it has been since December. Something is clearly wrong in the code, as I have seen the same lag on other people's Hero's as well. I just hope they fix it, like , yesterday, because I really don't want to have to go back to the stock app.

23. BSki

BSki Well-Known Member

Ya get what you pay for.

24. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Explain?

TS

25. cvam1985

cvam1985 Well-Known Member

Another tip to speed up the booting of Handcent - download SMS Backup. It's an awesome app that'll send your txts to a gmail label in conversation form. Downloaded it last night and it's great! I have it set up manually but it says it will back them up automatically.

I keep every txt from my boyfriend but now I don't have to let it slow down my phone.