Handcent Question Not RE Notifications !!!!

Last Updated:

1. Calvo1

Calvo1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Guys,

Second post here so please excuse the noobishness but I have a question. I have searched a lot of SMS Threads and could not find the answer to this.

Basically I have installed Handcent due to battery Problems....I have unticked all notifications and alerts on the Hero SMS app. No problems when receiving/sending texts etc.....but when I use Handcent, the default SMS symbol is showing up when I trigger Advanced Task Killer as well as handcent....It reappears after every message even after I "kill" it.

Does this mean that the default SMS app is open and will stop my phone from going to sleep?

P.s would anybody be kind enough to review the information on my phone and let me know if I need to update?

Firmware version....1.5
    Build Number...2.73.771.73
    Software Version 1.0.0A6288

Kind regards

Calvo1

Advertisement
  2. nomnompie

nomnompie Well-Known Member

The stock app has to run because it's integrated into the OS. All handcent does is really "intercept" texts if you turn off the stock notifications, it will use it's own notifications, but you cannot keep the stock one from running. It is normal.

3. Calvo1

Thank you for your response, I thought this may be the case....my only question would be, if I leave the stock app running will that drain the battery significantly as mentioned in a few other Threads or does this only happen when messages are being exchanged?

4. nomnompie

nomnompie Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's the same as most apps in android. The service is running, so it will pull up quicker than if you kill it. I would assume it would take a bit more battery while idling in the background, but I don't usually kill the stock app or handcent while they run and my battery only really drains if I do a lot of data-reliant stuff.

So I guess I can't answer you for sure. Logic would tell me it does use more battery, but I can't imagine it uses that much.

5. Calvo1

Thank you for your time much appeciated

6. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Handcent and the default messages app can both be safely killed using a taskiller, you will still get your sms as they autostart when an sms is sent.

7. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Wrong forum Desire boy ;-)

8. jondude11

jondude11 Member

I will say first hand for me that yes even though you are using Handcent, Messages popping up will still not let your phone sleep. At least if it's acting like my phone. If I go to bed with 100% battery and 3G off, I'll wake up with it at 100% or 99%. If I go to sleep with 100% batter and 3G off but get a text at 2AM, I will wake up with it at 85%, thanks to Messages. I have been looking for a way to help this other than killing Messages, but I have not found anything yet.