• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent sending SMS on it's own to my contacts

Sounds like a virus. I'm no expert on smartphone viruses but do you have an anti-virus installed? If not you can get some for free off the store and run a scan (I use AVG myself https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ult#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5hbnRpdmlydXMiXQ.. ) it's light weight and seems to work, but there are plenty of other options.

Also if it's not already too late tell everyone on your contacts list not to open the MMS and to run scans themselves.

Upvote 0
Thanks, yes I have Lookout installed and it didn't capture anything. I suspected it was a virus too. Going to take it into Sprint today.

A Sprint rep will likely do a factory data reset. If they do, be sure to have your contacts backed up (Google/Gmail, etc), along with other things you want synced/saved. Floor reps sometimes forget about that or assume you already have it all backed up.

I'd be careful about what newer apps/widgets/wallpapers I back up, though; it's possible that the rogue program came via an app download.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones