Handcent & Shopper not updating

Last Updated:

1. Jinnai

Jinnai Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Recently (in the past...say, 3 weeks), I have been unable to update Handcent SMS and Shopper--both say there are updates available, but when I try to install, I get an "insufficient memory" error. Even using ATK to free up to 90+MB system memory (I'm usually around 35-40MB free), I still get the error. Is this related to the recent 2.1 OTA update?

I'm currently running BB 2.1 (ESE53) 0.8, with HelixLauncher--should I be looking at a newer version?

Any help would be appreciated....

Advertisement
  2. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

I'm running BB v0.8 with Sweeter Home 2 and I haven't had this error. I'm pretty sure it's not the ROM -- in fact, I've tried several of the ESE81 ROMS and I keep going back to BB v0.8, because it's faster.

3. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

the amount of memory you see free ATK and the memory you have to install apps is totally different. Go to settings then sd card and phone storage. Under internal phone storage you will see available space to install apps. If you actually have that full I am impressed

4. endorphine44

endorphine44 Active Member

Mine was doing that after I restored handcent data from Titanium backup on 5.0.5.7. I ended up doing a reinstall of 5.0.5.7 with a data wipe, then reinstalled from the market, it's been updating/working fine since then...something about the restore seemed to hose me up, never did really figure out what exactly caused it

5. Jinnai

Yes, I assumed I hadn't--I'm showing 14.3GB as free space, which is why I went with the assumption that it was related to system memory. The odd thing is that I'd updated Handcent and Shopper before, it just started about 3 weeks ago. Hrm, wonder if I should just uninstall and reinstall them fresh.

6. Jinnai

Yes, I assumed I hadn't--I'm showing 14.3GB as free space, which is why I went with the assumption that it was related to system memory. The odd thing is that I'd updated Handcent and Shopper before, it just started about 3 weeks ago. Hrm, wonder if I should just uninstall and reinstall them fresh.

7. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

you looked at the wrong thing. Internal phone storage at the bottom is what you need to look at. not sd card storage

8. Jinnai

Ah, thank you for the correction, I had not looked at that. Looking at it now, it shows 99.6MB free, which I would assume would be plenty...hm.

9. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

yea thats plenty

10. Jinnai

Well, I uninstalled both and reinstalled them both, and everything seems to be working fine now...who knows?

11. i ride a burton

i ride a burton Active Member

mine and my fathers phones, both on BB 2.1 .8 as well with helix launcher have been giving us that error for no reason.. he uninstalled and reinstalled but i have too many settings customized to want to do that so i just ignore the update :-/

12. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

There's a problem with Handcent and rooted ROMs. The rep for Handcent linked me to a forums that had a fix. Sorry I don't have the e-mail anymore but it didn't work for me anyway. I. Just used titanium backup to back up data, then I installed handset, reinstalled and restored data only.