Handcent showing 2 messages for every 1 text I receive???Support

Last Updated: 2012-03-22 13:42:59
  1. Smudgie

Smudgie Well-Known Member

I downloaded Handcent and like it. I disabled the stock message app. Now when I get a new text message the same message is sent to me two times. I essentially get a duplicate of the same message. What should I do to stop this?

Advertisement
  2. Liquoredolce

Liquoredolce Well-Known Member

are the duplicates both showing up within handcent, or is one handcent one stock? I knwo you said you disabled stock, but you need to disable the stock notifiactions specifically in order for the dual notifications to stop.

If they're both within handcent, I have no idea.
  3. Smudgie

I disabled the stock notifications and still getting dup messages
  4. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

Try uninstalling and re-installing.
  5. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

You might have 2 of the same person in your contacts. If its getting 2 messages from only one certain person that might be it?
  6. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

I get that once in a while, too. it's random, and rare, but I'll sometimes get an immediate duplicate of the message.
  7. Rdjr74

Rdjr74 Well-Known Member

I notice when I send a text to multiple people I get the same amount of text for as many people I send it to. One should be enough, why three of the same thing just because I send it to three people.
  8. DroidPower

DroidPower Well-Known Member

make sure if your prompt before sending or opening a text and you choose Handcent, you also mark/check off the little box in that window which makes Handcent your DEFAULT PROGRAM.
  9. XDaydreamerX11

XDaydreamerX11 Well-Known Member

Honestly though, I had ALOT of problems with Handcent sending/receiving and SENDING AGAIN after I turned off my phone and turned back on. (Even tho I enjoy the customization more of Handcent and think it's a nicer visually app) I sadly have to use comp on my incredible. :( I hope you can fix your problem!
  10. DroidPower

you can have a problem, but its some what common, i had it myself. I started using process of elimination during trouble-shooting. Make sure Handcent is your default message program and you don't have any other/standard message App on any of your home screens..

When you receive a text, does a window appear that gives you the option of what message program you want to use too open/view the TEXT??

Check your "people" contact list and your Google contact list.
  11. Smudgie

After spending over an hour trying to fix this I gave up and just uninstalled Handcent :(
  12. lthiel

lthiel New Member

Did uninstalling Handcent fix the problem? Because I'm wondering if it's a 2.1 OS problem and not Handcent. My son has handcent and doesn't have this problem but he has an older OS version.
  13. Smudgie

Installing did not fix the problem.
  14. DroidPower

Make when, or if you're given an option to CHOOSE what Text Message Program you want to open a text message with, make sure the small box bottom left of the window is checked off (Use As Default) before choosing the Text Program.

Make sure the notifications for the stock App are UNCHECKED, make sure the stock App shortcut/home screen Icon... are removed.

Make sure the Handcent options for notifications are CHECKED OFF, go through all setting carefully, when i did all of the above, i needed to go back and forth checking and re-choosing the proper settings.

I reiterated these procedures because they were the causes of my problems.
  15. reggjoo

reggjoo Well-Known Member

Did all of that with handcent, but it still sent, and recieved double messages. I uninstalled it, just gave up with it. I am using chompSMS now, it does it a lot less than handcent. Turn off everything in the stock app, but don't uninstall it, and I know you heard this before, make your app the default. If you still have probs, contact your carrier, it might be their fault, sometimes sending text to the same carrier as yours, may be the problem.
  16. reggjoo

reggjoo Well-Known Member

Turn off delivery reports too.
  17. sbguymm

sbguymm New Member

I have just started seeing the smae issue with my Revolution. It was working fine and now I get two messages in the handcent window for every text I receive. The only difference is one shows a callback number. It does it for all texts, and I don't have duplicate contacts.
  18. gatekeeper1957

gatekeeper1957 New Member

Im having the same problem with my DROID2. But I get anywhere from two to seven repeats. It seems to have started after updating the OS.
  19. talbius

talbius New Member

deleted post