• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent SMS access to my phone

I was about to download Handcent to my Aria when I noticed all the thing it has access to. Things like my personal information, services that cost me money, phone features, etc. I'm a bit worried about all of this. Has anyone had any problems with Handcent?

How is an application supposed to see your ocntacts and send text messages if it has not access to your personal information and cannot incur costs?

Upvote 0
There's a guide to what the various permissions mean and why apps might request them on this very site. I don't have a link handy. However, just keep in mind that the permission name doesn't always directly reflect why the app needs the permission. In the case of Handcent, however, it seems pretty straightforward.

Reactions: xraychick01
Upvote 0
Handcent is well known and widely used, and has been picked through by many a user and Android community. And as others have already mentioned, it's safe to use.

That being said... kudos on your diligence to ensure your security and privacy before installing an app you are unfamiliar with. That's a very good habit to practice. Not many people pay attention, and wonder why they have security issues later.

Reactions: xraychick01
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones