Handcent sms app questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. emcube

emcube Active Member This Topic's Starter

there is a speak option in Handcent and i'm assuming it's voice to text feature but it tells me that the recognizer is not present. i've downloaded voice recognizer from the market place but it's still not working. what am i missing?

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

Have you tried downloading "Google Search by Voice" off the Market? :)

3. emcube

emcube Active Member This Topic's Starter

i counldnt find "google search by voice" from the market. does it include voice recognizer?

4. prot0type

prot0type Member

I was only able to find the text to speech, not sure about the other way around though.

5. Jadien

Jadien Well-Known Member

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd resurrect this one:

Has anyone found a way to assign the custom ringtones (e.g. the ones we've saved from different "soundboards") to either the default notification or individual contacts?

I love everything else, but I want the ability to have those custom ringtones.

Ideas?

Thanks...

6. Gremlin256

Gremlin256 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about custom ringtones for Handcent??

7. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Jaiden, you "long press" the sounds off of the soundboard and then an options menu will pop up....one of them to use as a ringtone....if I understood your question. Then when you go to assign a ringtone to that contact, the sound that you "long pressed" should be one of your choices among the other stock ones.

8. GODSPEED44

GODSPEED44 Member

I too was excited when I saw the V2T option on Handcent as well. It was part of the reason I downloaded the app. However...:( either Android 1.5 or Samsung doesn't support Google voice search.

I emailed the Handcent developer to ask about V2T. He responded back with, "the Moment doesn't support it."

9. Jadien

Jadien Well-Known Member

Exactly... But those sounds, that were there with the default SMS, aren't there anymore. I even tried "long-pressing" again to no avail.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Got her to work like normal... It was nothing that powering down and back up couldn't sove... ;)

10. amberb53

amberb53 Well-Known Member

Any luck getting a "recognizer" for Handcent?

11. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

its 1.5 that doesn't support it once we get 2.1 the moment will support V2T

12. vikasnshah

vikasnshah Member

That is incorrect. Stock versions of 1.5 have the ability to hande RecognizerIntent. For some reason, Samsung decided to disable this functionality in whatever version of 1.5 is installed on the Moment. I can't find any documentation about this anywhere. There is no guarantee that even when you get an OS upgrade that Samsung won't disable this feature in THAT version of the OS as well.

Follow this link:
    http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa...G_ID=0&AT_ID=214304&PROD_SUB_ID=0&PROD_ID=559

It says:
    "What Is Google Voice Search And How Can I Use It On The SPH-M900 (Moment)?
    Google Voice Search is functionality that offers the ability to use voice commands instead of using a keyboard to search Google on a mobile device. Currently, the SPH-M900 (Moment) does not support Android's voice recognition API, disallowing even third-party Market applications that could take advantage of it.
    For more information on future support of the voice recognition API, please refer to Sprint."

So looks like either Samsung or Sprint screwed you guys on this one. Good luck.

13. ben0

ben0 New Member

then how does "Nuance Voice Control" Manage to work ...???

14. GODSPEED44

GODSPEED44 Member

My guess is sprint or samsung chose to use Nuance instead of google. I will be ticked if we get to 2.1 and it doesn't work. Nuance is incomplete and doesn't work very well, even after advanced setup.