Handcent SMS/ChompSMS

Last Updated:

1. quentinfisher

quentinfisher Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Some things I've noticed after using each one for a day, and they have me quite baffled.

ChompSMS seems to do more for the battery(in my case at least). Displaying a 19% awake time, compared to a 100% awake time with my handcent SMS, still haven't figured that out, anyone else getting similar results?

ChompSMS started bugging on me not recognizing the orientation of my phone? Uninstalled, installed and reset my phone seems to be working fine, Handcent however was stable and solid the whole time.

ChompSMS takes up LESS memory. With only Screebl Lite and Advanced Task Killer up I was seeing 53 available memory with HandcentSMS installed compared to 81 with ChompSMS installed, someone care to confirm this?

All this leads me to believe that ChompSMS is the better alternative messaging app based on statistics, but of course personal preference should be considered too. Would like to see more people compare and contrast these two and post results also.

Advertisement
  2. mrmegadeth

mrmegadeth New Member

Read that Chomp won't do MMS I however haven't confirmed this.

3. sr1982

sr1982 Well-Known Member

I have been using handcent for 5 days now and my awake time is 6%.

4. HTCDroid

HTCDroid Member

I'm getting a normal amount of awake time with Handcent, I'd try your test again. I haven't tried chomp sms yet just because I read it doesn't handle mms.

5. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

I heard that too {not a big user of MMS so Can't confirm myself } but have a look at chomp sms's website: chompSMS

On the right it says "Upcoming new Features" and underneath it says....

** Delivery Reports

** Composing & Forwarding of MMS messages!

Looks like It could be supporting MMS very shortly !

Carl C ;)

6. quentinfisher

quentinfisher Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I can confirm that MMS messages do work with chomp just tried both email and a mobile phone number, however I went through the albums. I reinstalled Handcent and restarted my Hero about midday after noticing the battery and still came up with 100% awake time, seems to be an issue with my device I suppose =/.

7. Richw350

Richw350 Active Member

I use Handcent and my awake time is 3% over the past 16 hours.

8. deryn

deryn Well-Known Member

+1

Plus, for me, ChompSMS stopped working about 3 days in. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it but still nothing. Handcent is still working and a little bit more customizable