• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent SMS Error- "Your Message has no valid recipients"

I was having the same issue. I had to do "factory data reset" and the problem is solved now. I think the reason of the problems, at least for my case, was because of the initial contacts import from the sim card, because the handsent sms where showing old names for my contacts no matter how many times I change the contact name, it won't be updated in the sms app. So, for the factory reset I first did a clean up of the sim card using some app from the market just to make sure. Then, I made a backup of all the sms using "SMS Backup & Restore" and then I did the reset. The info in the SD card won't be lost. You will just need to reinstall the apps you have currently in your phone. Don't be afraid! Reseting my phone made me feel like it was a new phone :D

Hope this help someone!

Upvote 0
I have this problem with a few friends, and it's because of their Facebook phone listing.

For instance, I have one of my friends contact information in my phone how it is supposed to be, with the phone number ***-***-****. But she listed her number on FB as "***-***-****:)". So, even when I go into Handscent and text her from her "contacts" number, which is correct and doesn't have the smiley face, I can't send her another message without it telling me, "Your message has no valid recipients."

So basically, I have to click on the "new" text button for every message. Another friend has his FB number as "**** you," which also has a way of throwing off Handscent. :p

Upvote 0
Everytime I have encountered this problem it has been because the contact number has been listed in my contacts as something other than a mobile number. Handcent does not try to text numbers listed as home, work or fax. You can recieve just fine, but if you try to reply to a number in contacts that is not listed as mobile, it won't work

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure that my case was different that yours. I tried deleting the contacts with the problem and trying to reply from the thread view and I couldn't. I also removed my Facebook account just in case, but the problem was also happening with contacts without a FB account. The curious thing is that some contacts were showing a name different that the one I assigned them in the contact manager. I think that was the name that they hand in my SIM card when I imported them but I'm not sure about that. Anyway, I spent many hours trying to fix that and the only way I was able to do it was with the factory reset.

Upvote 0
I have a few people that send me texts, when I go to reply via Handcent it give me an error "Your Message has no valid recipients". When i switch and try to reply via Messaging the text simply fails to be delivered. Any ideas? Thanks

I know this is from 2009, but I will still reply in case someone have this problem, as I just had. Don't need to reinstall or reset phone. I deleted the contact from stock contact app and made a new contact. And now I can send text to my friend who was a unknown in handcent :)

Upvote 0
Hate to dredge up an old thread but I had the same issue. I was able to resolve by going into Handcent, open "Settings" > "Social Network Settings" and uncheck the option called "Show Social Contacts". This finally worked for me, hope it helps!!

Edit: I tried to delete the contact and recreate but it still wouldn't work.

Upvote 0
This is how I managed to deal with this:
1) Backed up all important info from messages with the contact that was appearing suddenly as unknown
2) Copied basic info from that contact to a new contact
3) Switched off Show social contacts
4) Deleted whole conversation (all messages) with "unknown" contact
5) Deleted "unknown" contact
6) Deleted app data from device (settings, applications, Handcent, delete data)
7) Restarted the phone
8) Problem solved, my old messages gone though
9) Copied data from new contact and renamed it as I used to know that contact

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones