• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I've just downloaded handcent sms for my hero and am so far pretty impressed with its features apart from the fact that every time I receive an sms I get 2 notifications and 2 copies of the message - 1 in hancent and 1 in the original sms application. My question is how do I set handcent as my default sms receiver and get rid of the original from my homescreen? I have a shortcut on my homescreen which still shows that i have messages even though I've read them in handcent, and I don't know how to get rid of the original app from there. Hope someone can help.

1) to get rid of the notifications from the original app simply go into it and hit: Menu->Settings-> uncheck Notifications near the bottom of the settings list. This will then disable the app from alerting you and then handcent will only give notifications

2) to remove the shortcut from the homescreen simply longpress on the icon and drag it to remove at the bottom of the screen, you can then add a shortcut to handcent by using the '+' icon at the bottom of your homescreen and select 'Shortcut->Program->Handcent Sms'

hope that's of help to you

Reactions: Enmedi00
Upvote 0
No, I really like it at well for those same reasons, plus the fact you saw the persons picture in the threads. Handcent isn't bad, I do like the fact the conversation can appear as bubbles and that you can add pictures to it. The pop up messages are good to, but at time annoying, and seemed to drain the battery for me?? I'm thinking I might go back to the default after they work out the kinks with the main message app.

Upvote 0
I've had that problem too a couple of times, where I've had a message and it's just disappeared when I tried to read it.
Actually, I wonder if anyone knows anything about the predictive text bar (the bit where it gives you options as to the words you might be typing) moving so that it covers the bottom row of letters? It's so annoying because I can't type most of the words without choosing the first part of the word first to get rid of it, and then finishing it off. Taking 3 times as long to do anything.
I do like Handcent but I'm thinking I might switch back to the default Hero service because these issues are getting a bit frustrating.

Upvote 0
I've redownloaded Handcent as I also wanted the time the message was ent to me.

One thing I can't figure out is how to get the trackball on my Hero to light up when I receive a message in Handcent. I've got the opiton checked for it to light up in both Handcent and the Main Hero notifications bar but no luck. It does when Handcent isn't installed and I'm using the default messaging client. Anyone have any fixes? Thanks :)

Upvote 0
I prefer the default messaging app as well. I haven't figured a way to disable incoming SMS notification from both Handcent and default app, so while I had Handcent installed, I always got two notifications at once, with two different envelope icons in notification bar (or even three when I also had Chomp installed).
On the other hand, I liked the interface of Handcent and its customizability. Does anyone have advice on how to configure the apps to only get one SMS notification? (Besides uninstalling the default messaging app - I don't want to do that, no idea where I would get it back from.)

Upvote 0
I prefer the default messaging app as well. I haven't figured a way to disable incoming SMS notification from both Handcent and default app, so while I had Handcent installed, I always got two notifications at once, with two different envelope icons in notification bar (or even three when I also had Chomp installed).
On the other hand, I liked the interface of Handcent and its customizability. Does anyone have advice on how to configure the apps to only get one SMS notification? (Besides uninstalling the default messaging app - I don't want to do that, no idea where I would get it back from.)

Just make sure all the other apps youre not using have all the notifications unchecked? that's all i did anyway...

Chris

Upvote 0
I was happy with the main message app also, but everyone said it drained the battery...so I'm using Handcent/Chomps.

I prefer the main messaging app, as well. But the battery issue is only on CDMA version, correct? I haven't experienced the battery drain issue on my Hero (GSM).

It seems like a lot of bugs were introduced in the CDMA version.

Upvote 0
:mad:
Ok sooo..
1. I went into Handcent settings checked all notifications
2. went into droid sms unchecked all notifications

...still get pop up texts, and in top bar of phone

3. drag droid sms to trash

...still appears on home screen

4. went into handcent sms application, and it will not allow me to press the (+) key, it is not an option...

it is really annoying getting the same text message from 2 different accounts.

What do I do???

Upvote 0
:mad:
Ok sooo..
1. I went into Handcent settings checked all notifications
2. went into droid sms unchecked all notifications

...still get pop up texts, and in top bar of phone

3. drag droid sms to trash

...still appears on home screen

4. went into handcent sms application, and it will not allow me to press the (+) key, it is not an option...

it is really annoying getting the same text message from 2 different accounts.

What do I do???

Double check you went into the default SMS, then clicked menu, then click settings, and make sure there is no tick next to Notifications.

You should only get 1 notification, from handcent from now on.

When dean mentions the + symbol, he means when you are on your desktop, the + symbol at the bottom right of the screen, not inside handcent!

Let us know if you get it working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones