• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
thank you for your help....hopefully this clears things up :)

I am getting 1 pop up text from the default sms, which I don't want.

I am getting 1 notification bar from Handcent

I am not getting a pop up text from handcent

does that help?

Hi just installed handcent and I turned off the original sms app and it seems to be working for me...

Make sure you leave auto retrieve on though, otherwise you wont get any texts....

R

Upvote 0
I have auto retrieve on handcent, but I have turned it off in default sms, but I am still getting text pop ups in default....arrrgh

Welll... its strange, i stopped notifications from default sms app and i removed it from the homepage, then restarted my phone, and its not even showing up on the taskmanager now...

I have a question though, do you know where are the sms and mms stored?? dont tell me its stored on internal memory, its crap enough as it is!

Upvote 0
thank you for your help....hopefully this clears things up :)

I am getting 1 pop up text from the default sms, which I don't want.

I am getting 1 notification bar from Handcent

I am not getting a pop up text from handcent

does that help?

Ok so that helps. Basically you are getting only one notification, which is right as you turned it off on the default sms app, but you get a pop up from the default instead.

The default doesn't have a pop up function, so did you install another app that does this instead?

Upvote 0
Ok, so I'm a new droid user and really like it so far. I really needed to be able to send text messages to groups. I did some investigating and found Handcent. Really looks a lot like my Iphone when I had it. Like it so far, but the UI is a little cumbersome. Anywho.....

When I do send group messages, I get individual bubbles for each and every person that was in the group. Any ideas as to how to get the app. to just show the 1 bubble that went to everyone? Did I explain that correctly? :thinking:

Also, is there a good movie app like Fandango or Movie Phone for the android 2.0 OS?

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
I have the latest version of Handcent and even after removing it, clearing texts, disabling the native Messaging notifications, etc, for some reason I am still getting the Handscent pop-up and it's eating my battery. Has anyone else experienced this issue? It's very strange, as it just started doing this last week. I have verified that I have pop-ups disabled in Handscent. Help !

So, has anyone else experienced the Pop-Up issue that I am having with Handcent? Please HELP ! I have again tried removing all messages, rebooting, removing Handcent, reinstalling, setting Handcent to default and disabling the Pop-ups, yet they are still popping-up.

Thanks

Upvote 0
im having problems with handcent. i love hancent but everytime i receive a MMS i have to manually download. my friend who has the same phone does not have this problem...his MMS auto downloads right into the thread. i checked my settings and i dont understand why this is happening. SUGGESTIONS???

PS
i hope i receive an email when this post is replied lol not sure if i have that setting on

Upvote 0
Ok I have a similar issue here.

I have handcent as my default sms client, I disable notification from the sms android sms client so whenever I receive a txt the only notification I get is from handcent. Ok, so far no problem, my problem is that wherever txt I receive comes to my phone 2 times, like the same msg doubled and this is so annoying, I tried searching for a fix for this problem everywhere and didn't find anywhere, can someone help me here?

Upvote 0
I really like that handcent gives you the options to have your phone vibrate and make a sound when you send a text so that you know it went through. I have all of these setting turned on (even notification in status bar to see if it would work) but its not vibrating or making a noise OR showing up in the status bar. I would really just like to be able to make it vibrate and make a noise. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. THANKS! I should also mention that when I first installed Handcent, this setting did work and then all of the sudden it stopped vibrating and making the noise that I had set for when I send a message. PLEASE HELP ME!

Upvote 0
I have a really stupid problem. It MUST be user error.....

When I try to send a message via Handcent the #$!%!! application doesn't find any of the people in my contacts. I can type in a person's name and then input a long message and it bombs out telling me there is no valid address. WTF? I can't possibly remember everybody's freaking cell number and extension for whatever service they have!

Standard messaging works great on the phone - if you can call the standard messaging feature great. I can input "Paul" or "Chris" or "colleen" or whatever the heck I like and the app knows who I'm trying to send the message to. Handcent doesn't have a clue and I can't find anywhere in the settings to point it in the right direction or whatever is needed to make it work.

I see LOTS of folks loving this app but, if I can't send a message with it, the thing is useless to me.

Please........ Somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong here. This can't be all that difficult but I can't seem to make it work.

Upvote 0
Has anyone used the handcent anywhere for the PC? I've been playing with it and I am able to send text messages with it, but when I receive the response, I only get the response on my phone and not on my PC. Does anyone know how to fix this so I can send and receive messages on my PC when I'm at home? It's a lot faster to type on my computer then my phone :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones