Handcent smsSupport

Last Updated:

1. JonDroid

JonDroid Member This Topic's Starter

I installed Handcent for one option. It has the 160 split option, I could not find this in the Droid's stock app. Over the past couple days Handcent has been sending messages very slowly and sends them to the wrong contact sometimes. Stock messaging app works good but I can't find a way to have it auto split messages over 160. Is there a way around this or can someone point me to a better app. Also I thought Handcent had the option for custom notifications for each contact but could not figure it out. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. SlaveUnit

SlaveUnit Well-Known Member

I like chompSMS myself.

3. Droidophile

Droidophile Well-Known Member

I have had good luck with Handcent so far. I would be curious if others share your problem.

4. Bkfraiders7

Bkfraiders7 Well-Known Member

Custom Contact Notification-
    In handcent, click on the person you would like to SMS message. Once the screen comes up that shows your conversation as well as where you can type, press the icon with the guy and the gear in the top right corner. Adjust that for custom contact notifications.

I havent had any trouble with Handcent messing up my messages. My only problem with it is i wish they had a better looking Icon (especially more High-Res). Im too cheap to use bettercup tho.

5. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

I've had that problem and various others with Handcent. Great app when it works though. I went to ChompSMS and haven't looked back, and yes it can auto split your messages too.

6. sonnysideup

sonnysideup Active Member

I use just the standard sms messenger and when I get close to the 160 mark, it lets me know (a little number on the side saying like 10/1 meaning 10 characters left on page 1). Mind you I could keep typing and didnt worry because the person I was chatting with was on Verizon so I didnt have to worry about the message being screw up, I dont know how it would work on ATT or another carrier.

7. Helenoftroy08

Helenoftroy08 Well-Known Member

Does ChompSMS allow for custom notification sounds for contacts as well?

8. JonDroid

JonDroid Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'll try chomp and see if I like it.

9. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member

My Droid restarted for the first time when sending a pic via Handcent.... no issues before or since, I've had Handcent installed since about 2 hours after I got my phone almost a month ago... odd, happens again and she goes back to VZW (even if it is a Handcent issue =) )

10. discohornet

discohornet Well-Known Member

great app when it works! Had to uninstall too many force closes.

11. mshest

mshest Well-Known Member

only 1 reason... cuz i can change the LED notification color. If stock sms could do that i would gladly give handcent the walking papers.

12. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I just installed ChompSMS, just to compare to Handcent ... and because I was starting to experience force closes with Handcent. :eek: (Unacceptable)

My first impression: REALLY cool. :cool: Probably just as customizable as Handcent (if not more so), and if I don't experience FCs it's the clear winner!

FWIW, ChompSMS lets you change the LED color as well. ;)

13. square

square Well-Known Member

Question about chomp

14. messenger13

15. mshest

mshest Well-Known Member

his question (and i'm wondering as well) is about chomp not handcent

16. square

square Well-Known Member

it looks close, but aesthetically, the stock app looks better. it adds some padding around the messages. handcent pushes all text right to the edge of the screen.

17. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

im good with the stock messaging and the sms pop up app... handcent has lots of options, but was more of a headache than anything else

18. messenger13

I can take a few screen shots and post them later. The more I play with chompSMS, the more I like it. But the text bubbles have more of an iPhone look to them. It doesn't look like the stock app, and I don't think you can get that look ... I could be wrong.

19. bills534

bills534 Well-Known Member

I just tried chomp after using Handcent for over a month. And I am gonna stick with Handcent.

You cant customize the Chomp conversation screen as much as you can with Handcent. You just get the bubble look and the options to change the colors.

I forgot to try this with chomp but I know in handcent you can change the color of the LED for each contact, which is a feature I like a lot.

and with both I cannot find the option to change the how much padding you get in that bubble view. (this is the half inch of space on the left or right depending on if its a sent or received message) Ideally I would like that space to be cut in half

20. SinfulDragon

huh, I just installed Chomp after using Handcent for almost a month.
    I'm sticking with chomp for now, seems to kick out the MMS a good bit faster and adding lots of pictures is easier for me, I hated that slideshow shit.

21. greg72

greg72 Well-Known Member

I liked chomp but had to go back to Handcent because Chomp lacked the option to time tag messages (that i could find anyway).

22. Baca67

Baca67 Member

I am curious what the advantage of installing either of these might be over the block sms on android? I am new so if you don't mind, and for others like me, please indulge not berate...

Thanks

23. SinfulDragon

just gives more customizable options. Set a pic for the background, use bubbles for the discussion thread, make them what colors you want. Things like that.

24. messenger13

The stock "Messaging" app isn't very customizable. It's kinda WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get). Plus, both Handcent and chompSMS have convenient popup windows for when texts come in. Quick replies are much easier. Copying and pasting, and attachment options are better in the aftermarket apps.

I'll post some side-by-side pics in a bit.

25. Baca67

Baca67 Member

Thanks guys