Handcent=two messages and two notificationsSupport

Last Updated:

1. akkkmed

akkkmed Guest This Topic's Starter

(Yes, I've searched)
    I am running 2.3.15 Revolution R2 ROM.

I am receiving double Handcent messages AND notifications. I disabled stock notifications and tried disabling auto-receive (or whatever it's called).

Uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted data, etc. Nothing has worked.

How do I fix this, please?

Advertisement
  2. trese01

trese01 Active Member

Me to did you find anything?

3. fuzio1963

fuzio1963 Well-Known Member

No problema :) here.

4. antnyh

antnyh Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is two Handscent messages? You have to turn off all notifications for the stock messaging app as well.

Go into your stock messaging app and then messaging settings>uncheck notifications status bar>uncheck vibrate and turn off ringtone.

This solved my problem, but I never received two handscent messages, just double notifications in status bar and ringtones.

I hope that fixes your issue.

5. akkkmed

I am more than positive I did that already. I've checked like 12 times.
    Plus, it's Handcent for sure.

6. xander66

xander66 Well-Known Member

Try chompsms :D

7. akkkmed

No thanks. I've tried it a few times and I like the style and everything of Handcent more.

To everyone else, I solved this by using a different theme. Bad news is I jacked everything else up and now I have to SBF to 2.1 and start over. Ahh.

8. Sek0n

Sek0n Well-Known Member

I started getting this not long ago as well. It's two handcent messages, not one stock+one handcent.

Some people say that unchecking "Self-Check" fixed the issue for them, but didn't for me. Gets pretty annoying after a while. :(

9. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Happening to me as well. :(

10. akkkmed

What ROMs or themes are you guys running, if any?
    As soon as I installed a different theme and reinstalled Handcent, it worked perfectly normal. I had the problem using REVOlution, which sucks since I liked it. I suppose I could try it again.

11. mazz0310

mazz0310 Well-Known Member

I assume it's the ROM. I have the problem after installing GalaX. Check to make sure you don't have 3 messaging things. I had "Text Messaging" (Stock on phone), but I also had "Messaging" (Came installed with GalaX). That was causing me to receive double texts for everything. So in handcent I would have 2 notifications and the same text twice.

12. Sek0n

Sek0n Well-Known Member

uninstalled handcent and did a few tests. It's not a handcent problem(at least for me). I get duplicate sms's on my stock messenger as well.

As for the two messaging apps, I think they both come stock on the phone. Not sure though. Even so, theoretically it shouldn't be causing the double texts because they all draw from the same source I believe.

I'm going to be looking into it more tonight and see if I can figure out whats causing it on mine. Will post if I find anything. :)

13. Sek0n

Sek0n Well-Known Member

Well, I flashed to the rubiX rom. Was previously on FlyX.

Started testing it by first getting a text without handcent installed. It worked like it should, only one sms. Then turned off auto-retrieve and notifications in the stock sms app settings.

Installed handcent and sent myself another test sms. Worked like it should. :)

Only thing that is different, app wise, is the universal inbox thing isn't in rubiX. So it only has the one stock "Messaging" app. Guess that could be the cause like mazz0310 suggested, but dont know for sure.

14. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

I now have the same issue, at random.

Stock ROM, Rooted, Stock messaging apps unused. I get 2 handcent messages, sometimes and they have date stamps 5 hours apart

EDIT: Nevermind, fixed itself. I knew there was a timstamp issue fixed with an update, guess I just got a minor glitch.

15. bigshotproducer

bigshotproducer Well-Known Member

I had this same problem after installing Apex/REVOlution theme. I just used Titanium Back-up and froze the stock messaging. Did a re-boot and all was good.

16. Btros

Btros Well-Known Member

I'm having this issue now, with the REVOlution theme installed on stock ROM. Weird because when I was running ApeX with REVOlution, I didn't have this issue. I'm also not getting any ringtone or led notification on my received texts. Made sure all the right options were selected/deselected. I turned off auto-retrieve and notifications in the stock sms app settings. I unchecked "Self-Check" in Handcent.

I love REVOlution so much I'm willing to live with it for now but hope I can figure out a solution.

17. Nolesfan

Nolesfan Well-Known Member

I am rooted and just have Launcher Pro on mine. I've recieved doubles on the stock messenger and handcent. It's not a confilct between the 2 message programs since ti happened on my stock version. Not sure what's causing it.

18. bigshotproducer

bigshotproducer Well-Known Member

I'm also having this problem -- again.
    Realized that when I froze stock msg'ing I couldn't send MMS.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled handcent.
    I really like Handcent -- I tried chomp, but it didn't really blow my skirt up....

I'm rooted 2.2, running REVOlution theme/circle battery mod/Overclocked.

Anyone?

19. wera988

wera988 New Member

also having the same problem. not rooted. its happening when using handcent, chomp and the stock messaging program.

didn't start until i downloaded the recent update on the droid x.

its getting old quick.

20. wera988

wera988 New Member

purchase was within 30 days. they couldn't figure it out either. got another x. on my third x since dec 2.

21. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

You had tried rebooting the phone and clearing the cache?

22. wera988

wera988 New Member

i did both. still had the problem.

23. JohnKuczek

JohnKuczek Well-Known Member

I have been having the same type problem on my Incredible. Found a solution on another forum that worked:
    Handcent Duplicate SMS Messages
    Posting 12 is the solution that is working for me.