1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Handcent users question...Support

1. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

Does the "LED flash Alert" work on your OE? (If so, how do you have to set it to work?)

I have been using the "Flash Alerts" app which works really well. I disabled it, but the Handcent option still does not work.

thanks

Advertisement
  2. Dark One

Dark One Well-Known Member Contributor

I think I've tried it but didn't get it to work.
    Murf1 likes this.
  3. OptimusV123

OptimusV123 Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't work on the OE.
    However Go SMS Pro has the ability to make your soft keys light up when you have a missed call, text or voice mail.
  4. Artine

Artine Well-Known Member Contributor

The phone already has this feature built-in, too. System Settings -> Display 0> Front key as indicator (at the bottom).
  5. OptimusV123

OptimusV123 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah...
    Its still my favorite SMS app.
  6. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

I liked the LED to light up because I lay my phone on my desk face down. Good if it is on silent mode to see notification. I emailed the "Flash Alerts" developer about it not working since I installed Handcent - no reply.
  7. PilotBob

PilotBob Well-Known Member

The Elite does not have a notification LED only the camera flash LED. the notification API won't light that ap. As people say, you can have it flash the touch button back light.

Go SMS Pro has a feature to turn on the screen for a set amount time when a message is received.

Is this the app you are using?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sMSwxLDEsIm5ldC5tZWdhd2F2ZS5mbGFzaGFsZXJ0cyJd

I think most SMS apps can either be set to use the built in messaging app notification or it's own. Perhaps handcent can be set this way??
  8. PilotBob

Yea.. sorry.. I tried that flasher app and it doesn't seem to work for text messages, at least with GoSMS Pro installed. I tried to set the default message app to the stock message app and it didn't work with that.

However, it did flash the camera LED when a phone call came in.

The flasher pro version claims it flashes for any notification in the notice bar... so that may be your answer. If you get it working let us know. Or uninstall handcent and see if it works with just the stock app. If not, it is probably a fault of the flasher app and not handcent.
  9. Dark One

Dark One Well-Known Member Contributor

I use NoLED with Handcent and it works well.
  10. sneaky_1

sneaky_1 Well-Known Member

11. jamoosh

jamoosh Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I just tried I flash Alerts with Chomp SMS and it worked fine. I abandoned Hand cent sometime ago, as it never worked for me with Virgin Mobile.
    PilotBob likes this.
  12. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

I know the phone has no standard LED notification. Yes, Flash Alerts is the app and I use and it most definitely WORKED on my phone for calls and texts when I used the stock message app (with camera LED). I got rid of the stock message app and Chomp would not receive texts. The developer said it was because Chomp requires the stock message app in order to work. Since I installed Handcent, Flash Alerts no longer works. I believe there is some conflict between Flash Alerts and non-stock message apps.
  13. Artine

Though it doesn't have a separate LED light for notifications, the front four keys will light up for missed calls, messages, voicemail, and social network stuff when the screen is off.

... why are people looking for apps to do this stuff when it's already there? I'm confused.
  14. snorge

snorge Well-Known Member

most people seem to prefer chomp these days anyway although they are both good.
  15. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

I went with handcent because I wanted to get rid of bloat on my phone so I removed stock message app (which Chomp requires according to Developer).
  16. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

Artine, I prefer to leave my phone on the desk face down (to protect the screen). The phone has a rubber protector around it. When it is on "Silent" I cannot hear the vibrate. However, when the LED flashes, I definitely notice that. The one instance it came in handy is when I'm running the PowerPoint at church (so it is on silent) and my wife needs to get a hold of me. That's when I realized the benefit of it. Just a preference on my part. Different like things to function different ways. ;)
  17. Artine

OH! Now I get it, for some reason I was thinking that everyone was talking about the front keys as "the LED." I'd completely forgotten that there's an actual LED on the back, lol. XD
  18. PilotBob

So if you restore the stock message app does it work? I use GoSMS Pro, but still have the stock message app on the phone... but flash alerts doesn't work for texts. I do like the idea of the camera flash flashing for alerts.
  19. snorge

snorge Well-Known Member

wth never knew that.
  20. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

Don't know. I'm thinking about uninstalling Handcent, reinstalling stock app and installing Chomp again and see if Chomp will work. (Chomp didn't work before, but I think I had already removed stock message app at that point.) Then I'll try Flash Alerts again too. (IF Chomp works.)
  21. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

I uninstalled Handcent, install stock message app, installed Flash Alerts, and installed Chomp. Flash Alerts and Chomp are both working.
    PilotBob likes this.