Handcent users with Anti VirusTips

Last Updated:

1. TokedUp

TokedUp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was having a problem with my threads erasing because Handcent was being force closed when I was using it. I contacted them and they told me to get rid of the Antivirus software I was using because it is completely unnecessary on a Droid phone. I uninstalled the Antivirus app I had and when I went back to my home screen the phone lagged for a couple of seconds. Very weird. But now I swear I feel like the phone is faster. Handcent is sending messages faster and it seems like my apps are loading faster. Maybe the Antivirus was a burden rather than helping. Anyone else maybe have a similar experience??

Advertisement
  2. TokedUp

Wow the person just emailed me again saying that the Antivirus I was using might have actually been collecting personal info off my phone. They said they were gonna report the app!!!! Does everyone need to know about this???

3. Squintz82

Squintz82 Well-Known Member

Just wondering why you decided to use an Antivirus?

4. TokedUp

cuz Im new to Android and when I had a shopping spree in the Market the first time I think I d/l'd it without finding out if i needed it. Yeah Yeah I know, DUH!

5. veccster

veccster Well-Known Member

I only download applications that have been approved on the market. You can select this option under settings>applications>unknown sources.

6. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

this isn't steve jobs's house, you still need to use your brain. there are no viruses for android.

So...

with that knowledge, there are only two reasons to put a "anitvirus" program out there.

1. fraud ( sell people something they don't need )

2. to steal information

7. coolbone

coolbone Well-Known Member

I think the Antivirus is a misnomer. Lookout at other "antivirus" apps scan the apps for malicious code. Generally speaking if they do something other than what the apps' original designated privileges say they are allowed to. I don't truly now, but that's how it was explained to me.

8. JF-08

JF-08 Member

I use Lookout and Handcent and have no problems.

9. stealthtt24

stealthtt24 Well-Known Member

Just an fyi, I had the stock SMS with antivirus and I was getting force closed and all my threads deleted every day. Switched to Handcent and got rid of antivirus and have not had one force close in 3 days.

10. dgourd

dgourd Well-Known Member

The way android was built was to prevent it form getting a virus. Each program is running virtualized, which means the program thinks it is on its own system and the only thing open. This prevents apps from accessing things they shouldn't or other programs. Thats why you should watch the privileges.