Handcent vs. Sprint Messaging

Last Updated:

1. annemania

annemania Member This Topic's Starter

I previously had problems attaching photos to my text messages without getting a window that says "too large to send" and I read here that the solution to this problem would be to download Handcent from Market. This solved my problem, but now I have a new one.

New problem is: Texts are coming in both Handcent and Sprint messaging which doesnt bother me much except for the fact that now I have messages doubling up. I've been using Handcent most of the day to see what other benefits it has other than the photo capability. While I continue to text with Handcent, the Spring message icon continues to blink telling me I have incoming messages even tho I've already read them in Handcent.

Is there a solution to this? From what I've read, Handcent is a much better test messaging tool to use...but the blinking light is starting to annoy me. Please help and send replies to my email: cheshirecat1991@gmail.com since I can't always be signed on here. Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. JMiller613

JMiller613 Member

I just asked this question actually. The answer I got was go to the stock messaging app. hit menu and turn notifications off. I believe its under settings once you hit menu. worked for me.

3. MikeMcG

MikeMcG Well-Known Member

Yeah, just open the stock messaging app, and hit menu. Make sure that notifications is unchecked.

4. bizarrogreg

bizarrogreg Well-Known Member

You can also change the capture size to 3 megapixels and it sends through the stock app just fine. 3mp is still a really good size for a mobile pic :p Up to you though if you want to shrink it or just use Handcent. Handcent resizes the image before you send it though anyways.

5. t1jordan

t1jordan Well-Known Member

Handcent is great but it opens entirely to slow on Sprint Hero. I would rather use the stock instead. Thanks bizarrogreg for the tip about the 3 mega pixels.

6. silkyt

silkyt Member

I installed handcent and liked it but it seemed to slow down phone. After fresh 1.1 rom along with gumbos kernel, handcent is working like a charm and now my default msg app since stock msg app does not resize pics to allow you to send via mms.

7. JameyK

JameyK Well-Known Member

I tried that and I'm still get double messages. Anyway to turn OFF the stock messaging app?

8. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

If you turn off the stock app, handcent won't work. It runs on top of the stock app. I can't understand why you would be getting double notifications if you have not. turned off in the stock app.....

9. JameyK

JameyK Well-Known Member

I don't know either. But I have to go into two message systems to either answer or clear a message. I suppose I could drop Handcent and just deal with the stock app.

10. depmode1515

depmode1515 Active Member

When using Handcent, seems like I can't send to any of my email addresses like I could with the Stock texting.

Is this something I am doing wrong with a setting? I really like Handcent, but this could be a deal breaker since I like to send text-pic blasts to family including email addys.

Thanks for any help!

11. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Well-Known Member

On 2.1 if an image is too large to send through the stock messaging app, it will automaticly compress it before sending it.

12. chinkster

chinkster Well-Known Member

handscent isn't able to recieve emails like the stock messaging app which is why i went back to the stock app.

13. zx12richard

zx12richard Well-Known Member

I had same problem a couple weeks ago. They told me to uncheck 2 and 6 from the top down in notifications