Handcent vs. Stock SMS

Last Updated:

1. WUESTSIDER

WUESTSIDER Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone else experienced the following:

I have used Handcent for months now, but continued to experience lag when typing in landscape mode. But for some wierd reason, I chose to use the stock SMS the other day, and realized the lag was greatly reduced. Now, has anyone else experience this also?

Oh' by the way, I am using Better Keyboard rather then using the stock keyboard.

Besides the landscape typing lag, Handcent was a cool SMS App. I liked it a lot more than ChompSMS.

Advertisement
  2. spicy_mchaggiz

spicy_mchaggiz Well-Known Member

I've noticed Handcent giving me a lot of lag recently no matter what way the phone faces.

3. joseamirandavelez

joseamirandavelez Well-Known Member

Its not Handcent... Its the keyboard... Handcent is a great app.

4. kassdog

kassdog Well-Known Member

Just tried both handcent and stock. Same amount of lag. I think the lag is from 2.1 not a particular app.

5. WUESTSIDER

Well I spent about an hour testing my phone using various combinations. My results are as follows:

Using Handcent with Better Keyboard seemed to lag the most when typing in landscape mode.

Using Handcent with Stock Keyboard and/or Stock SMS with Better Keyboard also lagged a bit, but not as much as using Handcent w/ Better Keyboard.

Now using Stock SMS w/ Stock Keyboard seemed to lag the least amount, when typing in landscape mode. Additionally, I experienced no lag at all using all the aforementioned combinations while typing in portrait mode. Now some might just think, "why don't you just keep typing in portrait mode then?", and that does make since right? But unfortunately I have big hands and portrait mode is very difficult for someone like me...lol

Also it should be noted, I am using a non-Rooted Sprint HTC Hero running 2.1. I also realize not everyone will have the same experience I have, due to each person having customized their phone to support their needs.

Oh' I would also like to address my experience using Stock keyboard vs. Better keyboard. First off, I love the customization of Better keyboard, but when it came to Spell corrections and word prediction, the Stock keyboard seemed to work much better.

Also, I have not tried Ultra Keyboard or Smart Keyboard.

6. spicy_mchaggiz

I took handcent off and used popup sms and the lag is nonexistent using stock and modified sms keyboard.

7. WUESTSIDER

This is why I love this site/forum...
    Spicy... Thanks for the info regarding SMS Popup, I just installed it and it runs great. It does exactly what I wanted. Popup notification was one of the main reasons I used Handcent. I have no noticeable lag after installing SMS Popup either.

Thanks again.

8. dkokkos

dkokkos Well-Known Member

i am using handcent with XDA keyboard and i have no lag.

9. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

Another option to get rid of the lag is swype.... it is undoubtedly the best keyboard available. (IMHO) You can apply for the beta, although it is closed, and you will be invited to try it. It takes a little getting used to , but rocks. And NO LAG!

Swype | Text Input for Screens

10. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

Swype is pretty good. I type (swype) much faster now and no lag.

11. joseamirandavelez

joseamirandavelez Well-Known Member

I think this may be a real issue but not due to Handcent, but to Android on this hardware. Handcent is a big program. With lots of settings and very customizable. That takes lots of memory and CPU, and the Hero is not the best on those aspects. It make sense you guys find it snappier with the stock SMS program since it is a simple program which takes little memory, so there is more for other programs such as the keyboard. I preffer the customization power of Handcent and have not seen more lag in my keyboard than the one I'm experiencing now, typing this message. This is IMO a hardware issue. We are just trying to push this phone to its limits...

12. spicy_mchaggiz

Texted quite a bit last night using SMS popup and the XDA keyboard, least amount of lag I've seen. I'm really liking SMS popup now.

13. kassdog

kassdog Well-Known Member

I prefer shapewriter to swype. Don't know if you can still get shapewriter though.

14. WUESTSIDER

I noticed while using better keyboard w/ stock SMS, I turned off the typing sound and the haptic feedback, which decreased the lag when typing in landscape mode. Which is cool because I like using Better keyboard rather then the stock and/or smart keyboard pro.

15. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

yeah, I actually really like the haptic feedback but I also turned it off to reduce lag (Handcent, stock keyboard)