1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support Handcent

1. taghag

taghag Well-Known Member

I am at wit's end! I have used Handcent for years but for some reason on my Note 3 the notification tones don't play. Period. I believe I have everything turned on that should be, both in the phone itself and the app. When I click on test notification sound in the app nothing happens. Not even the default tone plays when I get a message.

What am I missing?

Advertisement
  2. jds4000

jds4000 Well-Known Member

I use Handcent on my GN 3 without any issues at all. Here's how to make it work for you. In HC settings Notificationa ON , Notification Settings, Sound SILENT. Then in HC Application Settings Default Messaging APP DISABLE. In the GN 3 Messages App leave Auto Retrieve ON and Notifications ON and select a notification tone. THIS WILL WORK. Unfortunately you will still receive the annoying pop up for the GN 3 Messages app.
    taghag likes this.
  3. taghag

taghag Well-Known Member

Nope, still no sound.
  4. jds4000

jds4000 Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm at a loss. Recheck everything and reboot. Good luck.
  5. taghag

taghag Well-Known Member

I did. Only other thing I can think of is I have a lock screen but when I have the phone unlocked it still doesn't play text tones. Ring tones work just fine. Go figure. I am sure it is something small and simple, that's why I can't figure it out :)
  6. Crosley123

Crosley123 Well-Known Member

Handcent issues for me as well. But...here is my problem on the Note 3. Everything seems to work fine until I put my phone on Silent. Once I switch back all my notification sounds are gone. Nothing. A real pain in the you know what.
    I also have seen a few instances where putting it into vibrate mode seems to have the same issue but not repeatable.

Emailed Handcent. No reply. Nothing. :(
  7. auau465121

auau465121 Member

Go to the stock messaging app and uncheck delete old message's works every time
  8. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I don't have much to offer you, but I've been using it since the day I got my N3 and it works fine for me. Try clearing data, uninstalling/reinstalling etc. If you're rooted try clearing the cache's. Something you have is interfering with it.

Also bring up volume's in the sound menu and make sure the media isn't just turned down.
  9. taghag

taghag Well-Known Member

I alternate between silent and sound. It used to work after I installed it but when I go to work I put the phone in silent. Same as you, when I turn the volume back on, no sound!

That box is unchecked and no worky :(

Not rooted but now I am curious. I will uninstall and reinstall. I bet it will work until I turn the volume!
  10. Crosley123

Crosley123 Well-Known Member

I can confirm Handcent has a major bug. If I go from sound to silent then back, all of my notification sounds are gone. Handcent no longer works.
  11. travelgirl745

travelgirl745 New Member

I installed handsent and things went weird. My texts now come up on the screen without me opening the message. The colour is different. Now the personalized sound for each person wont work. How do I fix this! Its making me crazy