• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent

If it's the same issue lots of us were having, then its just a notification error that needs to be disabled in the original messenger. There's a thread on here for this. The mms still sends, even though the notification shows a problem.

Handcent is a super clean messenger app. The cool thing about it is you can try it, or chomp, or others, and doesn't cost you anything. It's a simple 'uninstall' to remove if you dislike it. Just spend a few minutes and customize it to your liking.

Do you have a link as I kept thinking they wouldn't send and needed confirmation from the other end. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Chomp throws ads in your face when you're in the message list and settings whereas Handcent only displays ads when you're in the settings. I'll stick with Handcent for now just because of that.

I "donated" $3 and now have 0 ads. It's awesome. For anyone that complains about having to pay $3... first think about how much money you're wasting already. :)

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how to forward a MMS in Handcent? To forward a regular text just long press on the message and u get an option to forward, but when i have a mms and i long press it, there is no option to forward?????

I just forwarded a MMS via the long press just fine. There were several MMSs from the same person, so I long pressed on the actual MMS (not the conversation but the actual MMS file in the message) and it came up with a menu that allowed me to forward it.

Upvote 0
Do you have a link as I kept thinking they wouldn't send and needed confirmation from the other end. Thanks.

I'm trying to find the link for you. If you open the stock messenger, click settings, scroll down to 'Failure Notification', uncheck this. Then close the stock messenger. For some reason this is the notification thats been haunting some of us in Handcent, even though our messages actually would go through. I'll keep digging.

Reactions: mikeman84
Upvote 0
i love this app and am really happy with the new update. The only thing I'm having a problem with is setting custom backgrounds with images from my SD. It wants me to crop the image into a square, but then stretches it to fill the rectangle on the background behind the message bubbles. Because i'm using photos of people for their backgrounds, the distortion looks particularly bad. Does anyone else have this problem?

Upvote 0
This is probably a dumb question and I'm trying to find the best way to describe what I need, so please bear with me.

I can't find how to keep the Handcent application open all the time on one of my screens.

Does that make sense?

I was able to do it with the native SMS app. I want one of my screens to show the Handcent SMS "conversation" window open at full screen.

If any one can decipher what I'm asking and can help, I'd appreciate it. :D

Bump.

I think what you are asking for is a widget that you can put on one of your screens that shows text messages at all times.

Reactions: Musky
Upvote 0
The app is great regarding the level of customizing. But coming from a dumbphone whose vibrate function far surpasses the Incredible, I'm not very impressed regarding that. I guess this is more of a complaint against the Incredible though. I almost never use ringtones or annoying shit like that and so I can barely feel the vibrating from a text even when on the longest setting in Handcent. With my old phone I'd feel it right away.

Upvote 0
I like handcent but recently it has stopped vibrating when I get a text. I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?:thinking:

Mine did the same, but i downloaded sound manager and its back and im back...in love :D

Mine doesn't vibrate either. :thinking: I'm not positive it did before the last update. I read on handcent forums that vibrate isn't working with the incredible.

I heard the same, that the issue was with the phone and not the adding of apps. After a couple of days mine stoppped. i didnt figure out how to add apps until after...so, im slow :cool:

Upvote 0
is there one?

not for Handcent, but the Dinc's default messenger has a widget:

fullscreen message widget.jpg

Upvote 0
Mine doesn't vibrate either. :thinking: I'm not positive it did before the last update. I read on handcent forums that vibrate isn't working with the incredible.

I updated mine and it works just as well as it did on the old version. I have it set for 5 vibrate pattern and it works just great. Not sure why yours wouldn't and mine still does. Not sure if a uninstall/install might fix that.

Upvote 0
Yes, exactly. I can do it with the native messaging program.

You can use the HTC widget with Hancent.

Here's how: When you click on a message from the HTC widget a window will pop asking if you want to open the message with the HTC messenger or Handsent. Just check the box that says "use by default..." and then select Handcent. Now they're integrated...

Reactions: Musky
Upvote 0
when I get a new message, and I reply to it within handcent, my notifications area (in the top left) still shows an envelope, and shows an unread message.

Any way to have this notification disappear when I enter a text message directly through handcent?

You have to go into your default program "Messages" and then into Menu, Settings, and disable the notifications....I disabled all of them, Sent, Received, and Voicemail ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones