• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handful of New Videos on Youtube

Alright. One thing I noticed is that at 8:38 in part 1 of the Face Off between the Fascinate and Incredible, when he selected a input method "Samsung Keypad" was not there. Did you turn Samsung Keypad off in the settings menu? Or is there no Samsung Keypad on the phone for some odd reason?

I am asking this because I loved the keyboard for the Samsung Captivate when I played around with it. I don't like the Android standard keyboard and I am not really a fan of Swype. I am really not sure why this would be the only Galaxy S phone that doesn't have the Samsung keypad that the rest have.

Upvote 0
Alright. One thing I noticed is that at 8:38 in part 1 of the Face Off between the Fascinate and Incredible, when he selected a input method "Samsung Keypad" was not there. Did you turn Samsung Keypad off in the settings menu? Or is there no Samsung Keypad on the phone for some odd reason?

I am asking this because I loved the keyboard for the Samsung Captivate when I played around with it. I don't like the Android standard keyboard and I am not really a fan of Swype. I am really not sure why this would be the only Galaxy S phone that doesn't have the Samsung keypad that the rest have.

not sure.. i kinda like using swype ; but i def dont like the default android keyboard

Upvote 0
not sure.. i kinda like using swype ; but i def dont like the default android keyboard

Ok, I just took a look at the User Manual for the Fascinate. According to that, the only two input methods that are on the phone are Swype and Android Keyboard.

That is extremely stupid. There had better be some way that I can get the Samsung Keypad on this phone.

Upvote 0
Ok, I just took a look at the User Manual for the Fascinate. According to that, the only two input methods that are on the phone are Swype and Android Keyboard.

That is extremely stupid. There had better be some way that I can get the Samsung Keypad on this phone.

What's the Samsung Keypad and what makes it so great?

I have:

Droid X multi-touch
Swype with TTS mic
Swiftkey (love this)
Stock Sense keyboard

Upvote 0
as much as i have been wanting this phone it is dumb how every version of it is broken in some way

Fascinate... no google... cant use bing for the direct voice search navigation... no samsung keyboard

Captivate/Vibrant = broken GPS

I don't get it. This phone is newer than the incredible and cant even do something simple that the incredible can do such as voice nav

A phone can play videos and games better all day long but if it doesnt do the necessities better what good are the games and videos?

Such a nice looking piece of hardware, great screen, fast, etc... why do this? I know rooting is an option, but what about for people who just want to buy their phone and want it to work. One of the things ive liked about android was this voice search navigation... this is going to be my first android phone, and basically i won't even be able to use it without rooting the phone from the looks of it, while the vibrant and captivate alternatives will... it doesnt make any sense

Upvote 0
as much as i have been wanting this phone it is dumb how every version of it is broken in some way

Fascinate... no google... cant use bing for the direct voice search navigation... no samsung keyboard

Captivate/Vibrant = broken GPS

I don't get it. This phone is newer than the incredible and cant even do something simple that the incredible can do such as voice nav

A phone can play videos and games better all day long but if it doesnt do the necessities better what good are the games and videos?

Such a nice looking piece of hardware, great screen, fast, etc... why do this? I know rooting is an option, but what about for people who just want to buy their phone and want it to work. One of the things ive liked about android was this voice search navigation... this is going to be my first android phone, and basically i won't even be able to use it without rooting the phone from the looks of it, while the vibrant and captivate alternatives will... it doesnt make any sense

Well it will work when you buy it. One its a phone if you want gps then go buy a gps this a phone and people are making to much out of it because now it wont do voice nav boo hoo hoo. Geeze you can still use google maps and if you dont want to root or leave it how it is then wait for something else to come out

Upvote 0
at first the bing didnt seem bad.. now its starting to get to me ; i really dont want to root it (i like to have it the way i want when i buy it) i used to have to re jailbreak my iphone everytime there was a new software update & id lose everything.. whatever though ill hope for the best & I WANT THE SAMMY HEADPHONES THAT COME WITH EVERY OTHER GALAXY S :mad:

Upvote 0
I'm confused. I thought you could 100% download google voice nav on ANY android 2.1+ phone. It's an app on the market, not one that HAS to be bundled with a new device.

Am I mistaken?
Yes, you can download Google Navigation on your phone. It just cannot be launch by the "Search" soft key. You have to launch it by clicking the icon on the home screen.

Upvote 0
I just don't understand it. Every other Galaxy S phone has it. Why not the Fascinate? And its not like its some extra feature. Its the freaking standard Samsung keyboard....

Actually, there is another galaxy s that is missing the samsung keyboard. The epic 4g. Maybe it can be ported like the other android keyboards

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones