• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handscent vs ChompSmS: Performance

jojo29

Nov 22, 2009
Okay, i read through most of the HS/CSMS threads and really didn't find the information i was looking for. Feature for feature both applications are pretty much even, chomp seems to have some features that handscent doesn't and vice versa, which leaves only a couple things left to compare, which is what my question is based on:

Performance
Looks ( in this regards, clarity)

I currently, of course, am using the Motorola Droid, so please only reply if you have the Droid :) Currently running 2.1 and i like it so far, no FC or any performance issues.

Now a brief history, i have downloaded Handscent before and i absolutely loved it...except that the resolution was not as "crisp" as the standard UI...this bugs me, so not sure if it has been addressed or not.

Looks (clarity): Between Handscent or ChompSmS:

In terms of looks, it is very subjective so i will just boil it down to clarity.

Which UI is clearer, i.e has the higher resolution?

Performance: Which one runs quicker or less sluggish?

I'm also downloading the apps to see for myself but, its always great to have other user's feedback, i will post mine after i use them for about a day each, and after some users' replies

Okay, after doing some quick analysis of both applications, i find that i am leaning more towards Handcent, simply because it has more options for the "Conversation" section, i.e, you don't have to have the Bubble-Theme, you can customize it for Droid, Classic Handcent and or iPhone type.

Also i like that both have customizable backgrounds for both Conversation Lists and Conversation Sections...it will take a bit to get it to look right, alas, the joys and woes of fully customizing your Droid :)

Upvote 0
I used Handcent for quite some time, then started having FCs with it so I moved to Chomp for about a month. Then, a new & improved version of Handcent was released and I went back to it. That was some time ago (2 months maybe?). I tell you all of that to let you know that I've used both apps extensively. Chomp simply doesn't compare to Handcent in so many ways. Chomp isn't "bad", it's just limited in comparison.

My two cents...

Upvote 0
Sweet! I do have a couple of questions:

I have already customized my Conversation List to how i like it, with custom background and everything.

What i am having problem is the Coversation section. I apply a custom background BUT, since the background is the standard Android Blue/White background, i cannot see the background because of the Standard UI colors being "in front" of the background picture. My question is:

How do i set the transparency of the Android Conversation Style so that i can see the background colors??

Upvote 0
I have not been able to find that function of the Android conversation style. That was the 'up side' to using one of the other styles, you could still see the background image.

I found it :) All i had to do was scroll down and the transparency slider showed up, all i did was slide that bad boy to the left, and BAM! instant background image :) Ill post a small review, they are both really great apps, kudos to their developers, i will be donating to both actually, but in the end Handcent provided the most customization options

Upvote 0
I'm not usually one to post in old posts, but I figured that its been almost 6 months so I would post incase anyone else was looking for a comparison as I was earlier and this was the only comparison post.

I tried both out, and I use the newest version of Chomp that came out on 9/30. It does have the configurations so you can change the backgrounds on the list and conversations to either just a color or a wallpaper/picture. You can also customize the fonts with the different font packs that are available in the market same as Handscent.

I like Chomp because its easy to use, it knows how to make a large message shorter on the Verizon network to cut a large sms into smaller 160 char sms and for those of you with Tmobile has a separate setting for Tmo users compatibility.

I'm not a fan of Handscent bubbles talk so I really like how you can pretty much customize anything in Chomp from fonts/colors/backgrounds with Bold, Italics, Sizes, Colors. Anything is customizable and like I said its really basic and simple.

Upvote 0
I got my Droid last December and began using Handcent almost right away and I loved it. I tried Chomp as well and found Handcent to be better cause I hated the bubble-style conversations. But around April or May Handcent released an update and it completely ruined its credibility. I would not receive notifications of text messages or sometimes I would not receive a text when someone had sent one. When I started to have these problems I went back to the stock SMS program. A few weeks later after a few new Handcent updates I decided to try it again to see if the kinks had been worked out. This time I sent a text to someone on my contacts list and it ended up getting sent to someone else on my contacts list. So I decided there and then to stick to the stock program until someone could verify me that ALL bugs in Handcent were gone because I can live with the boring stock program and be assured that it won't screw up with notifying me of a text or delivering texts.

So on that note, does anyone who use Handcent have any reliability issues?

Upvote 0
I got my Droid last December and began using Handcent almost right away and I loved it. I tried Chomp as well and found Handcent to be better cause I hated the bubble-style conversations. But around April or May Handcent released an update and it completely ruined its credibility. I would not receive notifications of text messages or sometimes I would not receive a text when someone had sent one. When I started to have these problems I went back to the stock SMS program. A few weeks later after a few new Handcent updates I decided to try it again to see if the kinks had been worked out. This time I sent a text to someone on my contacts list and it ended up getting sent to someone else on my contacts list. So I decided there and then to stick to the stock program until someone could verify me that ALL bugs in Handcent were gone because I can live with the boring stock program and be assured that it won't screw up with notifying me of a text or delivering texts.

So on that note, does anyone who use Handcent have any reliability issues?

I've never had any issues like the ones you have described, there was an update for Handcent the other day and I haven't had any issue whatsoever. You can always give it another try.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones