• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Handset #3

kayak23

Jan 23, 2011
Judging by this board, I am not alone in having issues with the DHD.
This evening, Orange will deliver my 3rd handset, having sent back the first, recieved a replacement and now sending the replacement back.

Is anyone else having several issues with certain things?

I found the GPS on the first handset to be pretty poor, in that it would take ages to lock. The replacement seemed to improve it somewhat but it seems to have gone downhill. Currently it can take 10 minutes to get a lock for use as the satnav in the car, useless really, then very often it will lose the gps signal then spend a further 5 minutes finding it again.
Locations is fairly useless too, it often seems to have me placed in a village about 4 miles away from where I live when used via wi-fi and pretty far away too when used via the mast network...

I often also pick it up only to be greeted by a window telling me that my Sim card has not been recognised and I need to shutdown/restart the phone. The handset has also freezed a few times in various apps and generally been a bit laggy and not the superfast processing I was led to believe it would be.

The issue of all the app icons disappearing when the phone is restarted too is highly annoying...

Lets see what handset number 3 is like.....

Is anyone else having lots of problems? Has anyone been satisfied with locations/gps/maps?

I think you're going to have the same issues with your third handset.

Poor GPS in the car = No view to the sky. See how long it take to connect when lying on on the ground in your back garden (worth noting I get a connection within 30 seconds in my car, but took over 5 minutes in my dad's car last week)
SIM Card issue = I think this is a bug in Android 2.2. I'm on 2.3 now and haven't experienced it since upgrading
Laggy/crashing apps = Rubbish Apps that are using too much CPU
Icons Disappearing = Fairly normal. Getting a new DHD, I guarantee, will not fix this

Upvote 0
I think you're going to have the same issues with your third handset.

Poor GPS in the car = No view to the sky. See how long it take to connect when lying on on the ground in your back garden (worth noting I get a connection within 30 seconds in my car, but took over 5 minutes in my dad's car last week)
I'll try it outside a bit more. I do use the handset for Google 'My Tracks' to track my routes when mountain biking and it seems to work ok for that, though i'm not convinced on the accuracy of the speed and distance(top speed of 61kph on a fairly flat route...)

SIM Card issue = I think this is a bug in Android 2.2. I'm on 2.3 now and haven't experienced it since upgrading
Personally I'm a bit worried about upgrading to 2.3 judging by the amount of issues displayed on this forum...

Icons Disappearing = Fairly normal. Getting a new DHD, I guarantee, will not fix this
This I know. It applies to all the apps which are stored on the SD card. Everytime I have to restart, which is quite often, I have to change my skin back and forth to resolve it, and then re-crop and mount a wallpaper from the gallery, annoying as hell...

My girlfriend is smug as anything with her issue-free iphone.....

Upvote 0
I'd encourage upgrading to 2.3. Most of the issues I was putting up with have all gone since 2.2. I think it is only a small minority that is experiencing the gallery and contacts issues, but backing up before upgrading should hopefully avoid those (I'm partly guessing here. I've not read any of those threads).

Out of curiousity, how does your girl friends iPhone compare with the DHD when side by side trying to get a GPS signal?

Upvote 0
I generally use Google Maps and have found it to often take an age to get a GPS fix - doubly annoying when the GPS turns off whenever the screen is switched off (is there any way to override this?). I'm not blaming the GPS module because I always find that the GPS Status app gets a fix far more quickly and reliably, so my suspicion is that Google just aren't managing the GPS very effectively.

Upvote 0
Out of curiousity, how does your girl friends iPhone compare with the DHD when side by side trying to get a GPS signal?

She rarely uses gps but when she does it seems to get her location very quickly and accurately. We've used it for walking directions in cities etc.
Her location always seems to be spot on even just by using the cell network or wifi, mine always seems to be several streets or sometimes miles off. Its very frustrating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones