• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hangouts finally gets Google Voice integration

OhSeven

Android Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2011
Reactions: Rxpert83 and xdrc45
As always Google rolls these updates out in stages.... But I have already installed the Hangouts 2.3.7 with the Hangouts dialer 0.1.7 APK with Google voice integration and it is working great and it's about time!! So you also can get both here while its Hot!! Hangouts 2.3 Brings Free Voice Calls and a Refreshed UI

Edit: I'm kinda digging the new Hangouts UI too. Led notifications seem to be working well for missed call... etc. :thumbup:

Attachments

• 1410441663655.jpg
    1410441663655.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 0
Maybe I'm missing something... but what is the point of installing the dialer if you don't have google voice? I could already make voice calls to other hangouts users in the hangouts app itself...

I don't know what the point would be to have the dialer w/o GV, but it looks like now you can call any number (cell, landline, foreign, etc) within Hangouts rather than just make a call to another Hangouts user. This would be the reason that Google cut VoIP support of Google Voice a few months ago to apps like GrooVeIP; they wanted to do it themselves. It's really nice for people like me that have an old phone not connected to a cell network but still want to use it to make calls while connected to WiFi.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the article... I was about to write that I sideloaded the .apk twice, in different configurations to try and merge SMS settings and still couldn't get the thing to work so I rolled back to regular hangouts.

With that said, does anyone with Metro PCS know how to force call forwarding to ring a GV number for GV voicemail management?

My guess is that Metro doesn't have the call forwarding option.

Upvote 0
So GV is integrated on my phone as of this morning. I can text through hangouts on my computer and through hangouts on my n5. I can receive calls and everything through hangouts. I tested with a friend, I can send MMS no problem but I cannot receive MMS at all. Good stuff, the nerd inside is smiling!

I just got it integrated too! I've received a text and the text input field says the outgoing number is GV. I made a voice call in an area with poor reception and it seemed mostly fine, but there was a delay that seemed to get worse and ended up cutting the conversation short. Haven't tried MMS yet, read someone's report that outgoing MMS worked but incoming did not.

I don't usually find google support pages helpful, but this seems to have a good amount of info
https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/6023920?hl=en&ref_topic=6013384

Reactions: rhray
Upvote 0
Agreed, the google documentation generally sucks but that is helpful. And it actually helped solve one issue I was having earlier by learning what smart reply is. I had switched over to a contact from regular carrier text to google voice text. My contact saw the different number (of course) but when I wanted to switch back to texting them from my carrier number, I couldn't, it consistently stuck me to GV. You have to force your phone to send a text through carrier through the smart reply menu, then you can switch the smart reply back to default after you've started back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones