• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hangouts No Enter/Next Line key

The stock keyboard allows for a hard return if you hit the button that displays more keys.

I use swiftkey which also has a smiley button but if you longpress that smiley button it will give you a hard return.

It doesn't appear to be an option anywhere in swype that I could see.

The option is there though if you want to use another keyboard. Swiftkey at least offers swipe style typing. They call it flow.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I am using the Samsung Note 4 and there are no options for line break when pressing the
smiley : - ) long press renders more smiley face options. Same with Galaxy S4 my old phone. Both using the Samsung Qwerty keyboard

( I think it has to do with the keyboard itself because I had had a keyboard issue some time ago and rectified it with a different keyboard. Not saying this is the answer because I am looking for a keyboard and not having much luck. )

Upvote 0
I don't agree with you. It is too easy to put the blame on Samsung knowing that it is Google who changes the keyboard layout in its chat apps. There is still a workaround for Samsung's keyboard: you just need to assign the enter key to a hot key between 0 and 9, to do so, head into the keyboard settings then 'my hot keys'

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
I don't agree with you. It is too easy to put the blame on Samsung knowing that it is Google who changes the keyboard layout in its chat apps. There is still a workaround for Samsung's keyboard: you just need to assign the enter key to a hot key between 0 and 9, to do so, head into the keyboard settings then 'my hot keys'
Plus, the OP was using Swype, not the Samsung keyboard.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones