Happy 4th - Kernel Heat on Froyo?

Last Updated:

1. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I have narrowed down my rebooting problem.
    HEAT
    I am running BB 0.4 with Jakes kernel right now and very happy.

Navigation and/or Pandora = 132F + Battery temp! I would average 140s in the car in the sun with direct CPU temps reading, but now that we don't have CPU temp right now, I figure that SetCPU isn't downclocking when I need it.

Even so, the heat threw my phone into a boot loop while running navigation today in the heat. Nothing I can do about the sun, the AC was running, I am on the Moto car dock and it's clocked to 900 or 1000 when plugged in.

IDK what my real question is, but the rebooting needs to stop while on navigation and I am not sure what to do anymore. Pulling over on the highway to wait for the phone to reboot isn't always the safest or the best for my "good time" records :)

*Also - the charger doesn't keep up with the navigation battery drain and I wen from 80% at the beginning to 40% after 2.5 hours of using navigation - I know this is an issue that has been discussed, but is this kernel dependent by chance??

Thanks for helping out, have a safe 4th!!!
    BOOM!

Advertisement
  2. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

why dont u make a setcpu profile and clock it down while charging, both saving you battery and heat?

3. Gazooo

Gazooo Active Member

Man I hear you, running nav while the droid sits on the car dock I was hitting battery temps in the upper 130's. I haven't used the nav since updTing to BB V0.4 but suspect similiar numbers.

I use Set CPU and power down to 500mhz while charging, doesn't seem to help. I have thought of using something white behind the droid to see if reflecting the sun would do anything.

I would love to hear from someone with an answer or recommendation to decrease these temps. Fortunately I have not had any shut downs or boot loops because of it, but I am concerned.

4. inssane

I have mine downclocked to 900-1000 from 1200 while in the car, but I get similar heat with even 600 because it is right in the sun. I can try it again at this speed in the car, but the phone was a laggy ho in the car while multitasking. I am not even supposed to touch the phone in the car in IL by law, so the faster I can just click here and there the better.

I would have thought that a little row of vents or some space between the back cover and the mount would have been intelligent considering that the back of the phone is black and metal :rolleyes:

My concern arises with the fact that 2.1 didn't do this.

5. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

but were you rooted on 2.1 and running a 1.2 kernel also? otherwise there's no base for comparison. I'm not sure why your phone would be so ridiculously laggy at 600 seeming that's close to a stock droid anyways.

6. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Yeah, I hear you man. Mine was hitting 130-140 on Navigation running Kangerade (newest) and Chevy's 1.2 kernel. I downclocked to about 550 to no avail. This, only after about an hours worth of use. But, the lady's Droid was running hot as well (on stock kernel, not rooted), so who knows. Hopefully there'll be a fix soon.

7. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

ska.t73 likes this.
  8. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

9. inssane

Yes I was running 1.2, or I wouldn't compare.

And, hmmmm on the cover. I may try this.

Is VZW still giving free covers? I wanted one and got screwed on it before when they ran out.

10. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

One trick to lower the temp while using navigation in my car (usually also hooked up to my charger while driving) is to keep the battery cover off. I have the phone standing upright in my cup holder which allows everything to breath and definitely keeps the temp lower. Not a real solution but it does help...

inssane likes this.
  11. droid_freak

droid_freak Well-Known Member

I have been running cardio trainer and pandora with mine sitting in the sun on a black tray for over an hour and never gone above 113. I have been using chevy ulv1200 maxed out on BBV0.4
    Wish I had a dock for the jogging stroller LoL.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

12. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

I moved my dock all the way up top on the windshield and it stays below 116. I was thinking of getting one of those generic "Dash Vent" holders would be nice in extreme heat.

13. inssane

I like the vent holders, but it's a heavy phone and I don't trust the holder with my driving :)

The battery cover removal is something I can try as the foil under the cover and derubberizing is not the most practical without a spare cover.

I have my phone close to the defrost vent and the AC comes out of there too, so hopefully the cover off will help.