Hard cases?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. Troglodad

Troglodad Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone tried any hardcases for the G1? I'm trying to decide on either an aluminum, plastic or silicon case to protect my Dev1 from my butterfingers.

Advertisement
  2. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

There are thousands of options on Ebay.

Helped a friend who has butterfingers install a red "hard plastic" one on her device. Now she doesn't use the soft sided case shipped with the device.

Her device is a little bulkier, and the buttons and trackball are a bit more "sunken" but the tradeoff is it can withstand a fall from a few feet. It looks nice.

She got a crimson red one with the same feel as the back cover, or a Thinkpad, that matte slightly rubber paint. It's nicely done and was pretty cheap. I told her to shop carefully and she got a phone charger thrown in too.

3. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

I bought the clear plastic cover for mine. It has absorb quite a few drops without damage to the phone.

4. benmarvin

benmarvin Well-Known Member

I had a clear plastic case when I had a Blackberry. You know, the ones that are like $5 on ebay. Thinking of getting the same for the G1, but I really don't like that hole on the back for the belt clip:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOR-HTC-T-MOBILE-G1-GOOGLE-ANDROID-CLEAR-HARD-CASE-CLIP_W0QQitemZ360132129896QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPDA_Accessories?hash=item360132129896&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Anyone know of a case like this without that annoying hole?

5. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Ben when you use ebay there are thousands of listings. I know many use the same mold, you get a feel for it as you begin to browse the listings. I have to believe that there are a few molds without the hole. But unless someone here has bookmarked one, you are going to have just search by hand.

Ebay does have a visual tiling tool that allows you to see all the images in a big block, basically a manual quick visual search. Try that.

6. skeptic82

skeptic82 Active Member

I bought one off of eBay, this one to be exact: http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-RUBBER-HA...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1309|301:1|293:1|294:50 (sorry about the huge URL, posting from my G1.)

It sounded great when I first looked at the post. Rubberized case? $6.00? Free shipping? Sign me up!

But in reality, this particular case was a huge let down. It is not "rubberized" by any stretch of the imagination. It is in fact smooth plastic. Also, the part that covers the buttons (home, back, etc) cracked the first time I put it on the phone.

In spite of these shortcomings, I was willing to put up with it until I got around to buying another since I waited forever for it to be shipped. That was, until I took it off to remove the battery. After I put the case back on the phone it was very loose, especially the part that goes around the screen.

The final straw came when I was walking out of a restaurant, holding my phone in my hand, and I watched in horror as my phone went tumbling towards the ground, leaving me holding nothing but the $6 cover. I'm sure you can imagine my anger.

So, needless to say, I discarded the offending cover as soon as I got home. Luckily my phone didn't sustain any serious damage, but still, I felt as if I should warn my fellow Androidians.

Please don't make the same mistaske as me.
    Everytime a G1 hits the ground, an angel vomits.
    Nobody wants that.

7. digitalglory

digitalglory Member

I've had the 10 dollar clear tmobile case which was just okay, no grip and if you sweat from ur hands it can be slippery, then I got a cheap spray painted one from the mall kiosk which was garbage, I even had to cut some plastic off to make it snug. Finally I went to ebay and ordered a rubberized case that is two-toned red case and black. Only the small part of the case where the usb goes is black, this case feels exactly like the battery cover, slip free and feels nice, not back for 7 dollars shipped, ebay search under 'g1 rubberized' don't be fooled to pay 18 like some ebay stores, I got the exact great quality for 7 shipped. Doesn't add tooo much bulk at all, VERY worth the investment!

8. digitalglory

digitalglory Member

Ps. I dropped my phone down the stairs at worked, the case completely protected my g1, only the top case flew off doing its job protecting my eagle...btw the rubberized feeling feels also like the keys.