• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hard Reset after too many unlocks

sakebu

Jun 3, 2012
My friend has a G2 and he recently put a lock pattern on it.
Our other friend tried to unlock his phone a lot of times and it factory reset.
Is this a new feature of 4.4.2 or was it always present with the G2?
Also, is there any way to turn it off? Losing your data to a friend or kid playing with your phone is not fun.

Thanks!

I know that this is what most phones do but on his it said "1 more failed unlock until data wipe" or something like that.

He left his phone with our friend for only 5 minutes and the friend claims that he just tried to unlock it a lot of tines..

There was never an option to log in to Google and his account is tied with his phone.. So I'm not sure what it is..

Maybe you guys can try putting a pattern lock and try to unlock it 10 times witha wrong pattern.

Id try on my friends phone and post a screen shot but I wont see him until saturday

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

I have a Verizon VS980 G2 and just tested this out with a lock pattern. Staying out, it just says above the pattern that you have 10 more attempts left and says nothing about a factory reset. So I put the wrong pattern in and continued until 5 unsuccessful attempts. After 5 tries a dialog appears and asks you to type what is shown ("life is good" ironically...won't be good too much longer if I keep screwing this pattern up lol)

After typing "life is good" I proceeded to tempt date until I was only had two tries left. I screwed the pattern up one more time and sure enough it said that my data would be wiped after one more failure. Another option also appeared though at the bottom where you could click and I assume attempt to use your Google credentials or the backup pin. I didn't click it but instead entered the correct pattern.

I like that it made me type "life is good" as that's a way to prevent your very young or unlearned lol children from going any further. I don't like that it waits until the last try though before warning you. I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't know this until now. On my older OG Droid and Galaxy Nexus, things were different. Well it was with the Droid at least. I've also done my share of development...man.

So I'm warning the VS980 owners now...don't screw up 10 times..If you get to that last try then try using your backup pin or Google credentials first.

Upvote 0
Factory reset is the best option to restore android device pattern, but after doing this you can lose your contacts and other applications or data. So if factory reset is not suitable for you then you can try the other stuffs:-

Firstly connect your device with your desktop or laptop by using USB cord, but make sure that USB debugging is enabled on your device after that go to ADB Command prompt and type the following commands.

Commands:-

· Adbshell

· cd/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases

· sqlite3 settings.db

· update system set value=0 where name=’lockpatternautolock’;

· update system set value=0 where name=’lockscreen.lockedout permanently’;

· .quit

More information visit: http://www.what-is.in/howto/reset-android-pattern-after-too-many-wrong-attempts.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones