Hard Reset/Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock MenuSupport

Last Updated:

1. snyderk08

snyderk08 Member

I have the HTC Evo 4G on Sprint. I just got it last week, and I was trying to go to the menu for the hard reset (power the phone off, hold volume down, press and release power). I have tried several times, but every time that I do it, no menu comes up, and my phone just powers back on. I can't figure out what is going on.. any help? :confused:

Advertisement
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

hello and welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    if you go to settings/applications/and uncheck the fast boot option. you can also do a factory data reset as well. go to settings/sd & phone storage/select factory data reset.
  3. snyderk08

snyderk08 Member

hi. I was actually trying to root my phone this way, because I want to be able to use the screen shot app "Shoot Me". Unless you know of a different way to do screen shots, without rooting.. that would be great :)
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

well no you can't use it unless you are rooted. and you can't root by doing a factory reset. if you have gingerbread on your phone then you can't root it as of yet. please read this as to why:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...cant-root-your-gingerbread-2-3-3-evo-yet.html.
  5. snyderk08

snyderk08 Member

I know i can't just root it by rebooting it, but there was an app or something I found that I had to go into the reboot screen to setup. I forget what it was now, though.
  6. snyderk08

snyderk08 Member

and what is gingerbread? how do I know if it's on my phone or not?
  7. Stubby1

Stubby1 Well-Known Member

Gingerbread is the lastest Andriod operating system (2.3.). It is fairly easy here are the steps:
    1. home screen tap menu
    2. tap settings scroll down to about phone( should be last option)
    3. tap about phone
    4. select software information

follow these steps and it should show you your Android version (what your looking for) and Sense version Pri and Prl.

enjoy the evo it is a great piece of computing power..